Get Ready for Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

I just signed up for Microsoft Business Value which is happening next week in Croke Park. It's a seminar on the release of Vista to the Irish market. If you signup to attend the seminar you get a free copy of Vista. Nice...

Anybody else going to this?

You need a Live A/C to register.

kjt

I saw a thread about this on boards a few weeks ago. Tried to sign up for it but it said everything was all booked out :confused:

I'm pretty sure you get a copy of vista at it too.

Cormac

I saw a thread about this on boards a few weeks ago. Tried to sign up for it but it said everything was all booked out :confused:

I'm pretty sure you get a copy of vista at it too.

yup, that is my understanding :)
and a copy of office2007

is it worth taking the day of work? hell yes. I wonder do they hand out the cds first thing in the morning or at the end of the seminar....mmm

daviddoran

I've put up with it till XP but there's now way I'll be using Vista.
Anything that seems to list "Requires 1GB RAM for full experience" really isn't something I want to use, especially for efficient working.

Cormac

yeah, the requirements are ridicilious and you're not garunateed that all your currently installed apps will work on Vista.

I'd say it will be a year to 18 months before Vista becomes a viable upgrade to users of XP.

I was planning on building a new PC after christmas anyway so the free Vista will get a run out on that but i would imagine i will be sticking with XP for a good while longer

daviddoran

Most of my work is web-based, so I'm going to look into running a Linux system as my base install (maybe Ubuntu) because I think I'll get the best performance out of the new PC with it.
Does anyone have any experience running Wine on Linux (e.g for Photoshop) or other virtualization software etc. because there are still programs which don't have a viable alternative at the moment on Linux.

When it comes down to it I've had enough of Microsoft's DRM plans and I think that if I start into Vista I'm screwed and will always be on a "Trusted Platform". I think that the MSN Music "Plays for Sure" not working with Zune is proof enough that Microsoft is going to screw us all.

wheres me jumpa

I've put up with it till XP but there's now way I'll be using Vista.
Anything that seems to list "Requires 1GB RAM for full experience" really isn't something I want to use, especially for efficient working.

Absolutely, a friend installed a release of Vista and he sent some snaps of the menu system. In particular the 3d app switching stood out. I looked at it and thought, my machine just wont be able for it.

I have tried on two occassions to make a switch to a Linux based system and tbh its just been a pain the backside. Im due a new machine and may try Ubuntu. Previously tried Red Hat and its near neighbour Fedora Core.

daviddoran

I've installed Ubuntu (Dapper Drake) before and found it a pleasure.
I'm not overly technical in Linux terms. I am a web developer but as long as it has a terminal than a nice GUI suits me fine.
Ubuntu for me was completely different from the other Distros, it is completely orientated for the standard user - from the eye-candy background to the soft icons etc.
I haven't made the leap to using it full time but with most of my critical apps (Apache/MySQL/Code editors/Browsers) on it already it should be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.