.ie domain rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrian5750

HI folks

A client (sole trader) wants to register a .ie domain that reflects the name of their new (physical) shop - say 'www.irishharp.ie' - for example (not the real name!).

They will be trading as this name - but I'm a bit confused as to which 'sort' of domain registration they need - not having registered a .ie domain before.

They'd usually go for the cheaper .com option - but the relevant .com names have been domain-bagged already.....:mad:

All guidance appreciated
Thanks in advance

Adrian

louie

go for the .ie name - is not that complicated.

If they have a company name (CRO #) - similar with the domain name, than it's easy.
If not, a simple fax letter stating the connection/relevance between their business and the domain name should suffice.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Sole Trade > Registered Business Name

OR

Sole Trader > Discretionary Name

in either case they will need to supply their registered business number, as you cannot trade as something other than your natural name unless you register it with the CRO

adrian5750

Hi Louie

go for the .ie name - is not that complicated.

If they have a company name (CRO #) - similar with the domain name, than it's easy.
If not, a simple fax letter stating the connection/relevance between their business and the domain name should suffice.

Thanks for the reply.
Don't think they have a CRO - so would they apply under the 'Discretionary name' category, then ??

Thanks
Adrian

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Louie

Thanks for the reply.
Don't think they have a CRO - so would they apply under the 'Discretionary name' category, then ??

Thanks
Adrian

Read my reply
You have to be registered with CRO to trade as anything other than your own name.

musicformedia

I just went onto CRO.ie and registered a business name, explained why I wanted it as a business name and what it has to do with me and I got it.

Registering a business name means you don't have to file tax returns for it, can't go bankrupt etc. - its literally just registering a name for a business

I may be wrong about that, but thats my take on it.

adrian5750

Read my reply
You have to be registered with CRO to trade as anything other than your own name.

Thanks for that - think we overlapped <g>

OK - so they need to do the CRO thing, which will get them a CRO number, which they can then use to register the domain....?

Have I got it right ??

Thanks
Adrian

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for that - think we overlapped <g>

OK - so they need to do the CRO thing, which will get them a CRO number, which they can then use to register the domain....?

Have I got it right ??

Thanks
Adrian
Adrian

basically - yes

If the RBN is the same or close to the domain they want, then nothing extra is required (they'd need the RBN anyway )

If the RBN is quite different then they may need to supply documentation showing the link / connection between them and the domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.