Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCardinal

Could be a while until the next PR export.

IWF should do well though I'd imagine.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I hope so :)

I think Google's still "looking" at the old subdomain for some things, which is damn annoying

RedCardinal

That's strange. What was the old subdomain again?

I presume you have 301'd over to here? Actually, when did you do the SEO thingey for the board? Before or after moving?

It could be because live links are still pointing at the old location and there is no mapping of old pages to new. Does the SEO plugin generate a bunch of redirects for the .htaccess file?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
That's strange. What was the old subdomain again?
forum.search.ie
I presume you have 301'd over to here?
I had, but as that didn't seem to be having any tangible effect I removed the A record from DNS completely:

Code:
blacknight@palermo:~$ host forum.search.ie
Host forum.search.ie not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Actually, when did you do the SEO thingey for the board? Before or after moving?

After I think.. There was another SEO thing in place previously, but it wasn't as good and had several "interesting" issues
It could be because live links are still pointing at the old location and there is no mapping of old pages to new.

What do you mean by "live links"?
Does the SEO plugin generate a bunch of redirects for the .htaccess file?

Yes and no - it's quite compact

RedCardinal

forum.search.ie

I had, but as that didn't seem to be having any tangible effect I removed the A record from DNS completely:

Code:
blacknight@palermo:~$ host forum.search.ie
Host forum.search.ie not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Pity, my guess is that you may have lost any trust and link popularity that forum.search.ie had. My advice would be stick it back up and redirect everything over here. If Google is still sniffing around you may be able to retain some love.

What do you mean by "live links"?
Just plain old backlinks that are still afloat and pointing at forum.search.ie.

Yes and no - it's quite compact

Ok so I presume just a few condition lines?

If you were to use these new rewrite rules but redirect from old domain (forum.search.ie) to new domain (IWF) would the rules be representative of forum.search.ie/old/page/path -> irishwebmasterfoum.com/new/page/path?

If so then I would stick those rewrites over at forum.search.ie

If you can map any old pages at forum.search.ie to new ones over here it should help. At the least I would 301 the old subdomain root over to here.

It can hardly do you any harm :)

Status
Not open for further replies.