Joomla site on Register365 returns 'doucment contains no data'

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrian5750

Hi Folks

The title says it all, really..

A friend of mine has built herself a nice little website using Joomla - her local copmuter expert set up the framework of the site & she's done all the rest - including an online shop.

However - it took me five attempts to finally get to the site this morning - in each case the error message was 'Page load error - the document contains no data'.

When it works, the sites works OK (if a little slowly) - it seems to be hosted at web20.hosting365.ie - which, I'm guessing, is a shared host..

Does the error message suggest that the fault lies at the hosting end of things??
- I'm not wishing to sound judgemental - but my experiences of hosting365 weren't all that good .... - don;t want to worry the girl, but should she consider using a different hosting company...?

Thanks for your advice
Adrian

louie

Have a look at the log files and see if there are any loading errors there.

adrian5750

HI Louie

Thanks for the reply.

I guess you're meaning log files on the server ??

As I say - it's not my site and I don't have access to the server -and don't really want to worry the lady unnecessarily if it's 'just one of those things' - but if it could be cured simply (maybe by changing hosting company?) then I could suggest that to her...

Thanks
Adrian

louie

Changing hosting might not be the best solution.
Joomla has a lot of modules, so try disabling them one by one to figure which one causes the issues.

adrian5750

HI Louie

Changing hosting might not be the best solution.
Joomla has a lot of modules, so try disabling them one by one to figure which one causes the issues.

I've not even mentioned the issue to her as yet - I already gave her several hours of free consultancy on website design & marketing - and I don't really want to get drawn into it <g>

As to disabling modules - that'd be getting even more complicated, as I think her PC-guy did the initial site set-up for her and then just let her loose doing the cms thing....

I think I'll leave it alone for the time being <g> - I was just curious to know what might be causing the problems....

..the site seems to be running at the moment.... so whatever's wrong, it's not 'always wrong' (maybe to do with server traffic / load / whatever...?)

Thanks
Adrian

sonic

I have registered domains with Register365.com and I found them excellent. I also host with them. At first I was on a shared host, linux and using H-Sphere. I found my site to be quite slow loading although i had no problem with Joomla on it, or wordpress for that matter. Anyways I called up customer care (who I find quite good) and they suggested moving to one of their brand new clusters which provides shared hosting but with newer technology ( Network Infrastructure I had never heard of it until I saw it here) and it wasn't H-Sphere anymore, they were using Zeus.
They allowed me to transfer my site imediately to the new hosting location without charge and I haven't looked back since. The speed is good and I prefer the new look of the control panel. I recommend you tell your friend to switch to the clustered hosting before switching from Register365 altogether, I find them genuinely good and extremely reliable. Register365 plans to move all their customers to the clustered hosting eventually so by calling them up you can just do it sooner! :)

Hope this helps,
Sonic.

adrian5750

HI Sonic

I have registered domains with Register365.com and I found them excellent. I also host with them. At first I was on a shared host, linux and using H-Sphere. I found my site to be quite slow loading although i had no problem with Joomla on it, or wordpress for that matter. Anyways I called up customer care (who I find quite good) and they suggested moving to one of their brand new clusters which provides shared hosting but with newer technology ( Network Infrastructure I had never heard of it until I saw it here) and it wasn't H-Sphere anymore, they were using Zeus.
They allowed me to transfer my site imediately to the new hosting location without charge and I haven't looked back since. The speed is good and I prefer the new look of the control panel. I recommend you tell your friend to switch to the clustered hosting before switching from Register365 altogether, I find them genuinely good and extremely reliable. Register365 plans to move all their customers to the clustered hosting eventually so by calling them up you can just do it sooner! :)

Hope this helps,
Sonic.

Thanks for the reply..
I was also with R365, until they sold out to Namesco - and everything fell apart. Sounds as if they may have got their act together - about time too!

The final straw was when they tried to charge me for moving all of my domains away - had some interesting discussions about that one - until eventually they relented - they still managaed to make a cods of transferring the domains out, though!.

Anyway - as I said further up the thread, I'll not raise the issue with my friend until / unless I'm asked - "can of worms" time... <g>

Thanks
Adrian

Status
Not open for further replies.