Status
Not open for further replies.

searchcreations

Hope I am in the right area with this.
Basically I had a "development company" work on a joomla based site for a client of mine as I am not technically minded and could not use the system the way I would like. Anyway work done but they said that they could not update some of the existing pages with new title tags. Net result is there is 1 homepage version with no title and when you hit refresh whilst on the homepage the updated title tags appear. My problem is that a search in google results in the page with no title tags so is google potentially not seeing this information which is critical for the homepage.

Apologies for the layman description but I would appreciate workarounds as the "development company" are drawing a blank.

paul

Ninja
do you have a link to the site in question ?

searchcreations

I have just emailed you the url as I do not wish to publicise client. If you can respond through the thread with any ideas without referring to the site that would be appreciated

paul

Ninja
Looked at the site, horrible implementation of joomla.

It appears that you have 2 versions of your homepage. The one at the Xxx.com and one where you click the home page link, it's another location www.xxx.com/index.php/RSS-Content/xxx.html

Basically you have 2 different pages. Google and other search engines may peanlise you for this.

I've recently move a webaite of similar size to wordpress, and it's a lot more manageable. Joomla can get tricky once you start adding these mambots, like the SEO one for example.
P.S. get them to remove the default favicon.ico

searchcreations

thks paul, appreacite that and I know,... it is a car crash!
Is there an easy way to denote which version is the master as when I scroll through all of the components I can only see 1 index reference so not even presented with the possibility to remove the extra limb!

Lottoplus

Hi, I have a lot of experience with Joomla and the set up of the back end system. Joomla is very flexible with style and layout and pretty much possible to do anything with it. There is an index.php and an index2.php and maybe the return link isn't picking up the index.php and going straight to index2.php. but more than likely the error is in the Menu section, where you have two separate menus going to 2 address's

If you want you I can take a look at it for you

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
I seem to have a strong dislike for joomla ... too many mods / components needed to do things and it starts to make things crawl.

There was a semi interesting thread over on boards about joomla and other CMS's to use .. not to mention on here as well a week or two ago

Lottoplus

I seem to have a strong dislike for joomla ... too many mods / components needed to do things and it starts to make things crawl.

With Joomla when people can't work out the section's and categories components etc withinn 10 minutes they seem to lose the enthusiasm

Joomla can have a steep learning curve, but once you know what your at, the possibilities are endless, User styles,. different parameters, page layouts, Good clean coded websites and end less components, modules and plug-in’s.
Extendibility was is a major design of Joomla! 1.5. By no means it is needed to do a core hack when you want to add functionality. The framework holds a very powerful mechanism for the extendibility; a new event-driven plug-in framework.

And in 1.5, a designer can change every little bit of html the system generates; the standard output however is still the same as in 1.0 to retain backwards compatibility with 1.0 site templates. This allows the creation of accessible, standard compliant, table less, whatever-the-designer-thinks-is-important, websites.

I've looked at most CMS systems but once you go Joomla you won't go back as the site can be as simple or complicated as you want.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
I went joomla ... :D templated a few sites in it ... don't like it still :)

... I went away from joomla :D in a much happier land now ..

(which reminds me ... buy flowers or else I'm in a very unhappy land) :D

Drang3d

I have a lot of experience in joomla and by the sounds of it without seeing the site, the problem is with the SEF component your using maybe sh404sef and its configuration. There are plenty of components which allow you to control the page titles like JRE-SEF patch. Can you PM me the url and I'll have a look? I have to agree if you stick with joomla, you'll fall in love with it but it is a steep learning curve. By the way, the sites in my sig are built in joomla

nevf

I went joomla ... :D templated a few sites in it ... don't like it still :)

... I went away from joomla :D in a much happier land now ..

(which reminds me ... buy flowers or else I'm in a very unhappy land) :D
Oh Forb, you're such a pessimist! :D

Where's your happier land now though?

Please dont say wordpress!!

Status
Not open for further replies.