Learning Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMenace

Can anyone recommend the best version of Linux to install (preferrably free!)? I'm about to install it on my old laptop... just to see what all the fuss is about! :)

Sparks

For a desktop installation by a new user just to poke about?
Ubuntu. No question.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If you need help let me know :)

I'm good at breaking computers in new and interesting ways !

TheMenace

Cheers Michele. I'll download it overnight and give you a holler if I'm in need of any help! It looks straightforward enough though so I should be grand.

I'm getting excited by the prospect of using Linux now. Ubuntu certainly looks like it's well within my comfort zone. If it could prove to be a viable alternative to Windows, bearing in mind that I develop in .NET predominantly, then I'd certainly consider switching. Or maybe starting to code in PHP and/or Ruby on Rails full-time!

daviddoran

I nearly switched over to Ubuntu except I couldn't get my wireless card working under Linux. I even went to the trouble of compiling NSIutils and trying to get the drivers together but it just ended in a mess so it's XP for a while :(

daviddoran

Yeah, I ran a cable in to apt-get the NSI code and linux headers.
The card isn't supported because it only has (as most do) Windows drivers written by the company. I looked up about the NSIWrapper utilities which emulate a windows environment for the drivers as far as I know but there was some error about the driver file being invalid and I don't have anywhere near enough experience with Linux to start debugging that!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm

You might be able to get it working if you use some of the "nonfree" stuff.

It's not overly complicated to do, though tbh using a proper wireless card helps :)

Cormac

you can get a .exe for ubuntu (approx 600mb) which can be installed onto your windows system which in turn loads up linux!

I wouldn't trust it though. Running Linux.exe on a windows platform...that ain't right man!

daviddoran

Yeah, I have Edgy 6.06 and Dapper Drake 6.10 as CD ISOs and they can both run while you're running windows, run live from the CD or do a full install.
Its quite impressive for a single CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.