Moving to a subdomain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking about moving some content around between domains and subdomains, but I'm not sure if it's a terrible idea or not...

At present I have films.ie and movieforums.eu

I was thinking about moving the forums to become part of films.ie, so they'd become forums.films.ie or similar, as I think that films.ie is a better domain than movieforums.eu and I'd like to make more use of it ie. create more stickiness on the site as a whole

Am I crazy?

theDub

Personally, I think thats a good idea. To tie the two together makes sense. And you`re probably right - films.ie is a better domain.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
for me films.ie ... 1 word ... very easy to remember ..
movieforums.eu ... complicated ... is it forum or forums ... (no I'm one of these strange people that don't use book marks that much ...)

number of users on movieforums.eu ... 47 (active users) ... number of potentials who would come to films.ie and join the forum .. quite a few I'd say ... even if they want to ask .. anyone seen hitman yet ...

I'd think its a win win situation moving across :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'd really like to hear the opinion of the seo heads on this before I make any changes .....

RedCardinal

There is a slight distinction between sub-domains and sub-folders. If possible I think you might be better off placing this in sub-folders.

Basically related to authority passing in one direction but not the other.

I'd imagine that for the Irish market the .ie may well outrank the .eu all other things held constant.

Forbairt

There is a slight distinction between sub-domains and sub-folders. If possible I think you might be better off placing this in sub-folders.

Cheers for the info ... as I'm semi in the same boat with two sites I'm working on.

RedCardinal

Cheers for the info ... as I'm semi in the same boat with two sites I'm working on.
Just bear in mind that there are pros and cons, and each scenario needs to be evaluated on its own merits.

Other thing - don't waste too much time wondering about this - the difference is marginal, and only relevant in isolated cases.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
From a technical perspective I prefer using subdomains, as it means I can move stuff around or break it out onto separate physical machines if I need to.. redirecting a folder / directory to another machine can get very messy :)

So basically you're saying that there's very little difference ....

If you were in my position, considering the two domains - what would you do?

I'm not so much concerned with the Irish market, but the general idea of focussing on one domain (if that makes sense)

Forbairt

From my point of view

films.ie ... is a much stronger domain name than movieforums.eu ..

The .ie in my mind still holds a good deal of security or umpf (for want of a more descriptive word)

MovieForums.eu ... isn't exactly thriving ? this is based on 5 members visiting in the last 24 hours and 47 active members (5+ of those active members contributing ... yes I agree ... SIGNATURE ... posts)

You can market this a lot better to an irish audience and films.ie is very short ... very easy to remember... having the online sales up there as well is a plus.

.eu meaning it'd be European (at least its my take on it all) ? won't exactly be able to encompass all the languages at the moment will it ? (I realise a lot of europeans would have english but still to talk about your favourite movie you'd want to do it in your native tongue)

films.ie ... a strong domain name ... with a lot of potential in the irish market ...
cinema listings ... cinema advertising / special offers ... video rental place listings .... other online offerings ... personally I find it much more appealing on the films.eu

RedCardinal

From a technical perspective I prefer using subdomains, as it means I can move stuff around or break it out onto separate physical machines if I need to.. redirecting a folder / directory to another machine can get very messy :)

So basically you're saying that there's very little difference ....
Yep - both domains have some history, so it wont make much difference. I'd keep the more important site on the main domain. Although more important can mean different things to different people.
If you were in my position, considering the two domains - what would you do?

I'm not so much concerned with the Irish market, but the general idea of focussing on one domain (if that makes sense)
I'd dump the .eu. Put forums in a sub-directory if you're not going to be mucking around with servers (chances?). Otherwise stick forum on sub-domain.

glengara

Another vote for Films.ie, I'd do something about its link profile though, too many hostages to fortune IMO....

glengara

IMO the linkage is overdone both in numbers and provenance, "as is" if the site gains traction you're giving any competitor a weapon to use against it.

glengara

Site has 31,000 links and most seem to come from your own network, that's not a "safe" position to be in if the site gets subjected to any scrutiny by the SEs.

Status
Not open for further replies.