Multiple Sites, same IP, multiple SSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodenToys.ie

Hi all,

I have a number of sites that need to be on the same server because of a number of symlinks which I have set up.

I would like to implement SSL on all of the sites, but because I need a dedicated IP for SSL, it appears I can only have SSL on one of the sites.

Can anyone think of a way around this issue - having symlinks between sites and having SSL on all of them?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You'd need a separate IP for each site to start with.

Do you have to use the symlinks?

WoodenToys.ie

I'm using the symlinks for the images that are common to a few of my websites. I need them for two reasons:
1. To avoid unneccesary duplication and increased storage requirements
2. To avoid having to upload products three times

Is there any way it would be possible to have symlinks and seperate IPs for each site?

niall

I'm using the symlinks for the images that are common to a few of my websites. I need them for two reasons:
1. To avoid unneccesary duplication and increased storage requirements
2. To avoid having to upload products three times

Is there any way it would be possible to have symlinks and seperate IPs for each site?

The easiest method is to create a subdomain of one them with all the static files (images, style sheets and javascript usually) and have all the sites point at this central subdomain.

Niall.

WoodenToys.ie

Ah ok... so all images will be at something like images.mydomain1.ie which can actually point to the existing location that I have symlinks to.

I can then replace the symlink with a mod_rewrite from domain2.ie/images to images.domain1.ie

Then I can have all the SSLs I want...

Nice - thanks Niall

Status
Not open for further replies.