Planning a new Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost

Planning a new Forum for early in the new year
How much band width and space should I be looking at.
just in case you ask How long is a piece of string.
How much band width would irishwebmasterforum.com or a similar size forum take.

Cormac

Bandwidth should only be a concern if you think your forum will be an overnight success to be honest. How likely is that?

Get a low-to-average hosting package, install PHPBB3 and then monitor your growth. If your forum takes off then look into upgrading both your forum software and your hosting if required.

No point in unnecessarily parting with cash.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
No point in unnecessarily parting with cash.

As cormac said ... its great to rush in create 50 rooms on your forum .. and so on ... but you want to keep things simple initially ...

I posted a thread wondering how worth while phpBB 3.0 would be as I've experience with previous versions and oh my god it was spam fest :D and I didn't have time to monitor the forums

The ventures I'll be creating will be non commercial so I can't justify forking out 100+ quid on the forum software when I'll possibley have 5 - 10 different forums (though I'm in talks with myself to just have one forum with a completely different name people can use)

ghost

Forum Bandwidth

I have a reseller package with a UK company so I am not short on bandwidth.
Just trying to plan ahead and know what to expect.
Spam management is probably more important issue.
I found this forum less then two weeks ago checked in every day and enjoyed it thanks everyone.
Happy Christmas to all from Ennis
Ghost

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
happy christmas from galway :)

personally I'm thinking ... install phpBB 3.0 and see how it goes ... I'll be doing it I think in the next week ... I've already got one install running and I do like it. .. its just not public as such ... (not advertised) hence I'm not sure of the spam issue just yet. Cormac does seem to think its come on leaps and bounds in the last while ... so maybe it'll work out .. if not I'll probably fork out on the vBulletin license

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Bandwidth usage isn't that much of an issue unless you have lots of graphics and avatars etc., eating it up ...

I don't even know offhand how much bandwidth this site chews through in a month.. I really should check :)

Adulu

Don't worry about bandwidth.
if it's not enough, just upgrade hosting plan.

you can start from monthly 20GB

Status
Not open for further replies.