Rock and a hard place

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianSP

Here is a great one for you..

An order ticks in on our website for 1378.27 sterling.
Had a good look at it and decided it was fraud based on various indicators.
So voided the transaction within 2 hours of receiving it.

3 Weeks later we got a call from a upset American woman saying that her card was used on our website without her knowledge, and that she had not received all her money back.

We were somewhat confused about this until we figures out that the money was drawn from her dollar account in sterling.. And then 2 days later refunded. In the meantime the USD/GBP exchange rate had changed and she received 66.76 USD less due to the exchange rate..

She now also wants this back.

Personally I have to admit, I was very close to telling her "not our problem, we refunded what we got. Should have kept you credit card safe", but at the same time.. This is the web.. Small people can shout very loud...

What would you do in a case like this?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You voided the transaction, so you did what you had to do.

shadow

Tell her your side of the situation. If she presses the issue offer her the balance in credit on your online shop (but only for an order above, say $100.

It is a bit of a dilemma. On one hand you did everything right, but you are the one losing the money in the end.

GimmeDat

I would have thought that her credit card company should take care of this and not you. I'd say you've done enough.

neweb

You done what you had to do and now its out of your hands.

You refunded ALL the money paid to you bringing the transaction to Zero (and void)

The credit card company changed the rate in the interim so it is up to them to give her the rate that was taken at the time of the fraud.

Whatever you do, don't refund the difference as its not your problem.
How do you know this is not the scam to begin with.

Transaction made
Transaction voided
Call to complain about fraud
Did not get all the money back
You refund the 60.00 odd she is missing

Hay presto, she is up 60.00 odd you are down 60.00 odd and we move on to the next sucker.

Status
Not open for further replies.