Signature gone AWOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennyrusks

Hi there,

Just noticed my signature is missing from my posts and it was there a few posts ago. I had a look in the control panel and there doesn't seem to be an option to edit the signature anymore, and I am checking the "show your signature" box in the options before I submit. Am I doomed to signatureless hell?

If anyone could point me in the right direction to get it back I'd be very grateful.

thanks

Jennifer

jennyrusks

Thanks Paul

Used that link and I'm getting a message that I'm not permitted to have a signature. Any idea what that's about ?

thanks

Jennifer

ButtermilkJack

I think there was a change recently which meant new users must reach a certain amount of posts before they are allowed a signature. Maybe 50 or something... not sure:confused:

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, that may have been for avatars?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I edited the signature permissions - they may need to be tweaked a small bit more - as I am sick of spammers signing up here simply to get their signature on their profile and one one useless post.

Anyone who is a regular member and contributes will be able to have a signature, though as I said I may need to tweak settings a bit

johnmryan

I can relate to the spam side of it, i had an inactive forum, which I was keeping as an archive, except i had about 5 new registrations a day - all spammers, just closed the whole thing down now

dereko

Yea i was wondering what was going on as well. I wouldn't worry about stopping people from using avatars though?

I can see where your coming from and there is a balance to get.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Basically what's happening is this...

The site seems to be ranking very well for certain key phrases.. Spammers and general chancers come along. Signup. Add a "lovely" signature and vanish.

So I tweaked the settings so that people who actually contribute and hang around get signatures etc., and those that don't, well they don't :)

Gavin

I can relate to the spam side of it, i had an inactive forum, which I was keeping as an archive, except i had about 5 new registrations a day - all spammers, just closed the whole thing down now

John looks like your recent blog feed is broken on here. Check out the url in your profile.:)

CiaranR

Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com
Code:
[CaRP] XML error: Mismatched tag at line 233

These kind of errors 90% of the time come from an '&' in the blog title.

CiaranR

Not sure whats going on with your feed. No matter what I do in an efforts to see the acctual XML I get redirected to http://feeds.feedburner.com/JohnMRyan

Must be some feed burner plugin acting up.

Or as i said above it could be the '&' in the title of the post WordPress 2.1.3 & 2.0.10 try changing it to 'and' and see if its fixes it. I won't be anything on the board causing the problem because as as you can see everyone else's is working.:)

johnmryan

Frodo, my feed is designed to do that as Feedburner manages the feeds for the site, its a wordpress plugin..

Sorry there was a problem with the URL in Feedburner, it was using the wrong source....

CiaranR

Yup thought it was plug-in problem all right, couldn't even sub to you feed before but can see the '&' is parsed in the XML now. That '&' problem used to break the RTÉ feed all the time, well annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.