Site review - Vimeo Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascendotum

Put together a little site to display your latest vimeo videos. Tried to keep the design as simple and clean as possible to keep the focus on your videos.

Love to hear your comments, bugs, opinion ect. (Especially people who use vimeo regularly).

ofthetube.com

P.S. Thanks php.allstar for your help!

sticker

I honestly don't think you can call that a 'design' to be 100% honest.

It's the equilivant to a 10 second word document with formatted text. Ok - it gets the message across, but I don't know if I'd be posting it on a site design forum...

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with it.

K

Kieran

Agree with sticker - why bother posting it - good luck with it though :D

ascendotum

But that's the point! If you want to showcase your videos on a nice colorful site with fancy rounded boxes and interesting backgrounds you can use vimeo. The reason I made this site is to show off the videos. The way I chose to do this was to use only basic colours (black and white) and keep any unnecessary design elements (Backgrounds, borders, fancy fonts etc.) to a absolute minimum. Just because it is not jumping out of the page at you does not mean it has no design.

sticker

But that's the point! If you want to showcase your videos on a nice colorful site with fancy rounded boxes and interesting backgrounds you can use vimeo. The reason I made this site is to show off the videos. The way I chose to do this was to use only basic colours (black and white) and keep any unnecessary design elements (Backgrounds, borders, fancy fonts etc.) to a absolute minimum. Just because it is not jumping out of the page at you does not mean it has no design.

The difference between a proper 'minimalist design' that works well and a site that appears as 'lazy' are worlds apart... I honestly don't mean to be overly harsh with that statement, but I would assume the site took you 10 minutes maximum to layout.

I salute you for what you are trying to achieve, I just don't think visitors would applaud your layout and 'design' as showcasing their videos. Also, without a structured border of some sort, videos will just appear to be swimming on the page.

As always - just my 2 cents!

ascendotum

We'll agree to disagree so!

I see where you're coming from but at the moment this is the style I'm into so that's how I'll design my sites :).

Thanks for the opinion!

sticker

We'll agree to disagree so!

I see where you're coming from but at the moment this is the style I'm into so that's how I'll design my sites :).

Thanks for the opinion!

Thats fine - each designer has a different eye and taste to be sure. We just happen to be coming from a different delivery method.

Best of luck with the venture...

blueark

Would you consider reducing the text size, especially the headings? They look very heavy-handed, and, considering the aim of your site (to focus on the videos), they're quite distracting. The site you credit with inspiration (I Hardly Know Her) hides picture descriptions until you hover: might be worth looking at?

Also, it's worth pointing out that it's possible to have a minimalist site, black & white, completely devoid of "Backgrounds, borders, fancy fonts etc.", and still have a good, solid layout. Have a look at minimalexhibit.com, for example, and see if it inspires you. At the very least, I would suggest looking at using grids to add some strong underlying structure.

On the positive side, the purpose of your site is very clear from the outset, and it doesn't confuse users by trying to do too much. I don't use Vimeo regularly, but I could easily follow your instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.