UK Court Rules On Hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

About time someone does something about it because we all know it's totally misleading information.

nevf

About time someone does something about it because we all know it's totally misleading information.
Yep.

Total bullshít, and when people see the stats of a site, they think OMG, but really, it's visitors/unique visitors that count, and when it comes to hits, they mean sweet fúck all. But not many people know that. Hits are often the sign of an inefficient website.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's one of those hangovers from the dotcom boom. Hopefully it will go away soon, but I won't be holding my breath :)

Page impressions and visitors count
Hits are meaningless

nevf

When you think of it though, hits were accurate 11/12 years ago. No search bots, single pages, very few images, etc.

Now however, totally different scene.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
When you think of it though, hits were accurate 11/12 years ago. No search bots, single pages, very few images, etc.

Now however, totally different scene.

Fair point
Back in 95 most of the sites I visited were mostly text

davidbehan

Yeah, I was reading that article yesterday. Really good to hear it actually. I cringe whenever I hear "we get x amount of hits a month".

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I was reading that article yesterday. Really good to hear it actually. I cringe whenever I hear "we get x amount of hits a month".
It's the kind of language that gets used a lot in the fluffy press releases you see :)

louie

I've had a similar discussion with someone few days ago, saying that some other website related to mine are reporting a lot more hits per month based on my stats, so I had a little chat educating him how that works and showed him the actual "hits" my website gets and couldn't believe it...
I just hope he understood what I told him...

Status
Not open for further replies.