Updating DNS - Internal Mail Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmaliser

Hi Guys,

This is my first post and I think its in the correct forum, so if not, my sincerest apologies...

My client current has his domain registered but no hosting account with it. The company is part of a larger parent company that houses all its mails on an internal server at its head office.

My question is as follows - if I add a new hosting account to this domain, point the DNS to my new hosting account - will / could this have any impact on their (internal) email settings? I can disable the mail server on the new hosting account, but by changing the DNS, am I risking e-mail meltdown?

I've been reading about A records / MX Records etc etc, but just wondering if its as simple as disabling the mail server on the new account...

Thanks in advance for any assistance given..

Marmaliser

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It depends on how the dns is configured ...

Say you have the domain domain1.tld

It's A records could point to one server / IP

Meanwhile you could point the MX record to somewhere else

You just need to make sure that you don't switch the MX record(s) without making sure ...

marmaliser

Thanks for that Blacknight,

.. if i can just clarify in my own head:

I have existing records (for external & backup mail servers) which I got from a MX Lookup:

xxxxxx.ie. 86400 IN MX 10 mail.xxxxxx.ie.
xxxxxx.ie. 86400 IN MX 20 relay.xxxxxx.net.
xxxxxx.ie. 86400 IN MX 30 mxbackup.xxxxxx.net.

... so, if I set up hosting account, disable default mail server settings and add the above MX details, am I safe?

Cheers for the assistance - much appreciated.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Is the new hosting provider also going to be managing the DNS? (key question really)

marmaliser

Hi Blacknight,

.... no - the domain has already been registered and it will reamin with the original registrar. The hosting is provided by a different hosting provider... does this create a problem?

Thanks....

marmaliser

... my apologies - i willl be updating the DNS to point to new new hosting account - so, i guess the answer is yes, the DNS will be managed under new hosting...

... sorry if I'm unclear but relatively new to this side of things..

Thanks..

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If you are changing the nameservers - then you will need to create the existing MX records in the new DNS setup

If you are NOT changing the nameservers, but merely updating the A records for the domain then you shouldn't have to

marmaliser

Thanks Blacknight - i kind of thought that was the case.

So, I'll change nameservers to reflect new hosting, update the MX records to those that exisit (as above) and VOILA !!

... I should be sorted...

Much obliged for taking the time to go through this with me. I was a little nervous to go ahead with it without confirmation of some sort !

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.