Status
Not open for further replies.

neweb

I have seen quite a bit of talk about Shared and Dedicated servers one the forum and which is best!
Obviously Dedicated would be best with relation to security, speed and customisation but how many of your customers are on Dedicated servers and how many are on Shared servers.

All my customers or on Shared servers with the exception of one and at that its overkill to the extreme.

I have never had problems with Shared hosting with only one site being hacked (last week) and that was a Joomla 1.5 site.

I am just curious as to how mainly of your customers or Shared or Dedicated!!!
Obviously I am interested in hosting companies comments but the real interest is designers and site developers who provide hosting to their clients.

paul

Ninja
It's shared ... shears are something completely different and would probably wreck a server.

Depending on the size, you should go for a dedicated server. It all depends on what you are running, and how many concurrent users.

neweb

It's shared ... shears are something completely different and would probably wreck a server.

Depending on the size, you should go for a dedicated server. It all depends on what you are running, and how many concurrent users.

See what happens when you don't pay attention to what you are doing :) fixed now.

hosting365

What Michele said :) And probably a healthy level of vice-versa :)

Generally, if you are serious about your hosted requirements (ie: you have an App that is 'core' or revenue generating, etc) then you need to be on a dedicated infrastructure.

If you need SLAs, complete accountability from the provider, and really see the hosting as a true 'partnership' in the outsourced sense, then dedicated is the only way to go.

Of course, the cost of dedicated servers or similar platforms puts it out of reach for most, but if your business is based on your website, what's 3, 5 or 10 grand a year to ensure it's online, accessible, secure, managed, etc - you'd pay more for a single print ad in a newspaper!

hughdurkin

I have never had problems with Shared hosting with only one site being hacked (last week) and that was a Joomla 1.5 site.

I am just curious as to how mainly of your customers or Shared or Dedicated!!!
Obviously I am interested in hosting companies comments but the real interest is designers and site developers who provide hosting to their clients.

Your Joomla site might have been hacked anyway, be it on a shared or dedicated server - these things can happen quite easily!

From my point of view with my day to day work stuff, we have two dediacated servers with Digiweb which are humming away without any problems. The reason we got a dedicated solution for these is we have some sites using SpeckCMS, a Coldfusion content management framework. However (not the norm), we have Coldfusion running on Linux / Apache / Postgres, so it's a weird config - usually you see Coldfusion offered with Windows packages.

On the other hand i'm working on some personal projects and I've gone with Blacknights VPS solution for these. I kicked off with one of the smaller packages, but as the traffic / resource usage ramped up when one site in particular started doing well, I upgraded to the top level package. VPS is a great middleground solution - you get the config benefits of a dedicated server (root access, ability to change my.cnf etc), but for a fraction of the price of a dedicated solution.

Digiweb have VPS solutions too, so give them a look too.

neweb

Your Joomla site might have been hacked anyway, be it on a shared or dedicated server - these things can happen quite easily!

From my point of view with my day to day work stuff, we have two dediacated servers with Digiweb which are humming away without any problems. The reason we got a dedicated solution for these is we have some sites using SpeckCMS, a Coldfusion content management framework. However (not the norm), we have Coldfusion running on Linux / Apache / Postgres, so it's a weird config - usually you see Coldfusion offered with Windows packages.

On the other hand i'm working on some personal projects and I've gone with Blacknights VPS solution for these. I kicked off with one of the smaller packages, but as the traffic / resource usage ramped up when one site in particular started doing well, I upgraded to the top level package. VPS is a great middleground solution - you get the config benefits of a dedicated server (root access, ability to change my.cnf etc), but for a fraction of the price of a dedicated solution.

Digiweb have VPS solutions too, so give them a look too.

Thanks hughdurkin
A very good response to a simple question. :)

The main reason I asked the question was because I have over 50 clients on shared servers and 2 on dedicated servers. We all know the benefits of Dedicated servers.

With the Shared servers, I have never had a real problem. Yes the server has gone down once or twice but its normally back up in under 5 hours or less. I'm sure dedicated servers also go down, even if its only a power cut.

Its very hard to convince a client that they should be on a dedicated server over a shared server. I have two clients on shared servers that also have E-commerce sites. There sites have been running for some time now without fail. In fact, I will go one better, one of them is running on a MS Access database with over 432 products. It's hit between 11,000 and 20,000 times a month (depending on the time of year) and has never fallen over once. Payment details are carried out via PayPal so a secure socket layer is not needed. This person wanted a cheap Ecommerce site and he is delighted with what he has and how its working for him.

neweb

MS Access? Ugh!
Ahhh the monk effect!

If its not an overly bloated bit of software, full of its own importance then its not real design. If your not suffering while designing or if every character is not been typed by hand then how could you be a real designer. Just like the monks, if your not hitting yourself with a big stick then your not a true believer.

Over the years I have designed a number of access driven programs, some for minor use others for major companies some web based and some not and all still running without problems to this day.

Its very easy to mock a program you don't fully understand!

redoktober

Wha?!? Access wasn't designed for web applications, it was dragged into the web app environment kicking and screaming. It's a relic of a horrible past when web technologies weren't designed with large traffic volumes or resource management in mind. Microsoft clearly state themselves that access is a no no for web applications.

neweb

Wha?!? Access wasn't designed for web applications, it was dragged into the web app environment kicking and screaming. It's a relic of a horrible past when web technologies weren't designed with large traffic volumes or resource management in mind. Microsoft clearly state themselves that access is a no no for web applications.

Quite simply have you ever used it for a web application or offline for any other projects for that matter!!!

I have used it in both environments, I've used it as a front end to SQL and as a standalone package and as I have stated, it has never let me down.

More importantly, this is not a discussion about Access its about Dedicated or Shared Servers which we seem to be slipping away from.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Ahhh the monk effect!

If its not an overly bloated bit of software, full of its own importance then its not real design. If your not suffering while designing or if every character is not been typed by hand then how could you be a real designer. Just like the monks, if your not hitting yourself with a big stick then your not a true believer.

Over the years I have designed a number of access driven programs, some for minor use others for major companies some web based and some not and all still running without problems to this day.

Its very easy to mock a program you don't fully understand!
Oh give over.
MS Access for websites has issues - I'd know since we host a lot of sites that use it and they have issues unless they're really quiet
MS Access for a desktop / LAN / Intranet type application probably works fine, but it's not a sane solution for websites - it might have been years ago when there weren't any other options open to people using ASP, but these days?

hosting365

Access works great for up to 25 concurrent users. Nothing wrong with it and it powers a surprising number of 'generation 1' web apps

Status
Not open for further replies.