Status
Not open for further replies.

IRISHADS

Hi,

We would just like to announce our website which is live but still under going beta trials. We have many excellent free and paid features on board. Just to give you a basic run down on the site.

Irish Ads - Its in the name!
FUNCTIONING
(1) Registration is obligatory but simple and most importantly free.
(2) Once registered, you can log in and post photo ads all day long
(3) Each free ad can be accompanied by 3 photos,text,video and PDF.
(4) There are 14 Major ad categories and 350+ Minor categories.
(5) There is a paid Premium ad service with bold ads on board.
(6) We have a commercial banner program built into the user area, Paid.
(5) Banners can be animated GIF or static GIF
(6) The site is running on PHP SUEXEC secure envirmonent. PHP 5.5
(7) Members can view ad stats and other details on login.

COMING SOON:
(1) On line merchant transactions for purchases, almost there.
(2) Post ads without registration, almost there.
(3) Flash banners as well as GIF
(4) Flash swf direct uploads to your free ads.
(5) New editor similar to the one being used here.
(7) Adult area to be parental control acivated.
(8) Affiliates are under construction.
(9) Forum to be pulled into our header and footer.

paul

Ninja
just took a quick look, I think the images behind the Search / Categories makes it hard to read.

Maybe you should make the rating system a little bit more seemless , i.e. research AJAX.

addoc

personally id get rid of the shamrocks in each category, probably in the logo aswell. If its aimed at irsih peple living in Ireland, it will look a bit diddly idle..

IRISHADS

just took a quick look, I think the images behind the Search / Categories makes it hard to read.

Reply:
Thank you for your comments and suggestions, they are appreciated and are being considered for immediate change.

I have looked at your suggesstion but I can't zone in on exactly which area of the site you are looking at, would it be possible to send me a screen snapshot so I can find what you mean easier?

Are you refering to The Ad detail page where the a users free post can be viewed in detail and the backround on this is a light green?
Please help me understand you a little better......

Maybe you should make the rating system a little bit more seemless , i.e. research AJAX.

Ajax for asp .net?.....

We are on php5 mysql,

Which area are you refering to:
Top ads or Top rated?

thanks once again, we take all your comments seriously, what we really need right now is for people to star posting the odd ad,

Last night I had a bombardement of ads that had to get deleted from people who typically use Gumtree trying to post telephone numbers belonging to other people with nasty comments and petitions for sex so I have put all my time into recoding so we can go about banning telephone numbers based on a specific category rather than on all categories, site wide, now I understand why the Buy and Sell call almost every new ad poster to verify the number before allowing postings, people are really nasty don't you think?
I would imagine Gumtree must get sued quite a lot because of that, what is your honest opinion on that issue?

IRISHADS

Why doesn't the logo link back to the main page??
Reply:
I am quite confused about this one,
Irish Ads opens .... index.php
The logo on index.php is coded like this "/index.php" for the link back so I imagine you are asking me why it doesnt read as
Irish Ads brining you back to the main url???

Is that what your question is regarding? please give me a little more detail, I do appreciate the comments and I like this site and its excellent critics...thank you.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Ok

If you go to the main page of the site the logo links to the main page ie. index.php

BUT

If you go to a category eg. index.php?catid=87 (autos) the logo is linked to the main category ie. itself, which is counter intuitive

I'd also seriously rethink your usage of shamrocks - it looks very Oirish and might work well with Americans, but won't get the same kind of reaction from the locals :)

IRISHADS

personally id get rid of the shamrocks in each category, probably in the logo aswell. If its aimed at irsih peple living in Ireland, it will look a bit diddly idle..
Yes that is a definate, I have had similar comments from other sources.

I just don't know what bitmap to put in all the categories, I already had car graphic for cars and all that stuff and it looked miserable, maybe i'll just place an arrow or a green dot there instead, what do you think about that, (We can't leave it totally blank)

The logo shamrock will be gone by tomorrow morning, and the categories, whenever I can pin point the right idea here.

IRISHADS

Ok

If you go to the main page of the site the logo links to the main page ie. index.php

BUT

If you go to a category eg. index.php?catid=87 (autos) the logo is linked to the main category ie. itself, which is counter intuitive
OK
Now I understand, yes, thank you, that is a bug (an oversight perhaps) , possibley site wide, I'll get that on the list for urgent fixing...
Thank you!

I'd also seriously rethink your usage of shamrocks - it looks very Oirish and might work well with Americans, but won't get the same kind of reaction from the locals :)

Yes the shamrocks are gone, we are leaving out the idea of symbols as we have had objections to our logotype from "Airlines" ?? I wonder who they were, so if I don't take out the shamrock we will never get the approval, either way you are right, it does look a little too American....
As I informed another reviewer, it will be gone by tomorrow morning and thanks a million, this site works..

I am going to ask the site web master to get me a banner,
767x45 animated gif and static gif and I am going to plaster it all over our site, hope he will take up the offer and place a few link backs to our own.

IRISHADS

For AJAX have a look at:

AJAX Tutorial

Yes I am reading up on this, and will send it to our programmer, so could you send me a detailed idea of how the voting system can be improved by using AJAX?
Ill send all of this off for the Phase IV upgrades, we havent finished phase I yet so it will take about a month before Alex can get to it, but I like your opinions and will take it on board, maybe you could post me a personal mail on this if you had the time?
darren.weldon@irishads.ie

In exchange, please register in the site and I will then send you out one of 14 Sponsorship packs that we are giving away, it will be worth your while I promise.
Thanks Darren.

IRISHADS

Yes regarding the screening.

All ads presently have to be manually approved by a human before we post them.

But some people are very caulous, you'd never know it was a fake ad until somone's sister sends us a nasty email demanding to know what is going on.
So at least having the ability to ban phone numbers in the particular cateogry of Personals, Contacts and Adult will help me well along the way.

I am going to pass your commebts on to Alex to see if he can work out a method similar to what you have mentioned above and thank you very much for your advice, I did apprecite it a lot.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You might want to look into blocking submissions using a DNS Blacklist, such as Spamhaus

If you combine that with Akismet and some of the other tricks you can reduce the amount of junk dramatically

Status
Not open for further replies.