Status
Not open for further replies.

gerry87

Hey,

I posted a thread about this site in the site reviews section, I hope this isn't deemed spamming.

I've started a website Swop-o-nomics (swoponomics.com), it's an Irish online barter exchange for both goods and services.

I'm looking for ideas and tips on how to go about getting the word out about it. So far I've placed ads on facebook and have really just been pushing the whole word of mouth thing.

The site can be seen as somewhat recession targeted as unemployment rises a lot of skilled people are without work and finding themselves time rich and cash poor (although i don't intend exclusively targeting this group).

Would anybody have any thoughts or tips on how to market a site like this? Any input would be great, thanks!

Gerry

elchefe

Facebook and twitter are a good place to start. You can also join forums with your intended audience and add your link on your signature.

link8r

Hey,

I posted a thread about this site in the site reviews section, I hope this isn't deemed spamming.

I've started a website Swop-o-nomics (swoponomics.com), it's an Irish online barter exchange for both goods and services.

I'm looking for ideas and tips on how to go about getting the word out about it. So far I've placed ads on facebook and have really just been pushing the whole word of mouth thing.

The site can be seen as somewhat recession targeted as unemployment rises a lot of skilled people are without work and finding themselves time rich and cash poor (although i don't intend exclusively targeting this group).

Would anybody have any thoughts or tips on how to market a site like this? Any input would be great, thanks!

Gerry

How will the forum be maintained? Wouldn't this just fill up with spam? How do you maintain the quality of content through actual swapping/trading -v- blanket advertising?

gerry87

Ok, i'm putting together some content for the front page- About, How the site works, Why barter, a recent posts box. Some stuff like that.

I just have a few questions about the sites the two of you mentioned. First, smallbusinessowners.com doesn't appear to be working, is this the address?

Also, I just signed up to linkedin the other day, the advertising isn't able to target ireland and i'm not sure you can even take out ads if you're in ireland... are there other ways to go about getting word out on it?

I've also only recently signed up to twitter and i have a grand total of 2 followers and i can't see any advertising section, how do i get people to see it?

gerry87

How will the forum be maintained? Wouldn't this just fill up with spam? How do you maintain the quality of content through actual swapping/trading -v- blanket advertising?

Forum will be maintained by a few of us involved. Spam-wise, i'll have to see how that goes... obviously i'm hoping it won't be a problem and we'll be able to ban repeat offenders. That is something i'll have to keep an eye on though, if it seems like it's full of spam it will get a bad reputation.

agbattery

You can try writing quality articles and this will spread the word anout your business. Also optimizing your website won't hurt.

Anouilh

Develop a web identity that is non-threatening. Look around at what other businesses are doing and you will find simple tips. Many people now keep a photo-blog and link to Flickr. There was a bit of excitement on the Flickr pages for April Fools' Day, when they allowed a flood of photos into the "Explore" system. This may seem a frivolous activity, but in fact it sets up a sort of networking system and everybody enjoys a bit of good humour from time to time.

koconnor

You are more than welcome to put together some information about your site and what it will do for people etc. I'd be more than happy to post your new business on my blog.

We could do an interview style blog post if you'd like.

PM me if you're interested.

This may help increase your profile, and if we all did it for each other, we could get some good traffic through to each other's sites/blogs.

great proven concept, France has had it for a few years now...
for online marketing adwords all the way, online press release, boards.ie,
any traditional / offline marketing campaign must be supported by an online search engine advertising campaign also...
have you looked at what swoopo . co. uk does?

Status
Not open for further replies.