Status
Not open for further replies.

stan414

Hello all. thanks for your help with the registration process.
I've got my wife's site up now. It's essentially a brochure site- I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks, ...Stan

babyboy808

Just looks like a standard css template (zenlike), correct me If I'm wrong?

green

The template is nice and clean but left me confused what is the site about. Choose better pictures and more content on frontpage. Also for seo I guess "back pain" should be your main keyword. Use it in titles and h1. Try adding some testimonials.

fairlight

Hi Stan,

Spacing between the picture at the top and headline with your company differs on "Home" and for example "Back Pain" pages.

Content on the homepage (starting with "15 years ago I left the nursing...") and internal pages is a bit too wide. I would use 2 column layout and separate the content using some sections (panels for example) as it makes reading easier.

Marketing impact of your homepage is the most important as it triggers interest of your visitor or they just quit if they find nothing "sticky". Put more effort to create your identity and sell it properly because it improves perception greatly. Imagine your service is like a can of Coke. You have to show it's best sides and build interest straight away otherwise noone will want to taste your Coke. It's not about using 'colorful and flashy' elements - it's about providing the most important information in small bits using hierarchy so people don't have to read long paragraphs, they get information by small and tasty spoons and it makes them hungry for more. Packaging is what you need, then accessibility/usability, then SEO and after all patience and heavy promotion.

Fairlight

stan414

>>Just looks like a standard css template (zenlike), correct me If I'm wrong?

That is correct.

>>The template is nice and clean but left me confused what is the site about. Choose better pictures and more content on frontpage.

I'll modify/replace the pictures for something more relevant. Also will try to include more content on the front page, although I don't want to duplicate what's elsewhere.

>>Also for seo I guess "back pain" should be your main keyword. Use it in titles and h1.

Back pain is only part of the story, although currently getting the most attention, because of new research. Alexander Technique is also applied to voice problems, RSI/carpal tunnel, sports performance, musicians,... Currently have landing pages for back pain and voice. I saw the main page as being for setting the 'tone', i.e. it's a personal website rather than something faceless. Do you think I should rethink this?

>>Try adding some testimonials.

Yes, she has some good testimonials, and I'll get them up next.

>>Spacing between the picture at the top and headline with your company differs on "Home" and for example "Back Pain" pages.

Yes, I've stuffed something up with the template there.
-edit: fixed, I think. Thanks.

>>Content on the homepage (starting with "15 years ago I left the nursing...") and internal pages is a bit too wide. I would use 2 column layout and separate the content using some sections (panels for example) as it makes reading easier.

OK, I'm a bit wary of changing the format away from the template, not being a HTML person. I'll see what I can do there.

>>Marketing impact of your homepage is the most important...

Won't people normally be arriving through a specific landing page, and so have been hooked by the specific content? I need to include more content on front page, but as mentioned above, I don't want to duplicate what's on other pages. Some thought required, clearly.

Thanks for all your input, ...Stan

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Just looks like a standard css template (zenlike), correct me If I'm wrong?

+1 sorry but ... erm ... its you basically filling in a template ?

So its really difficult to comment on it all.

No idea about the content

uSwitch247.com

couldnt u find a longer address?

something like www.lombago.com or lombago.ie would be far more beneficial to you and guess what - they're both available!

this would help your seo work as well as stick in people's heads - i'm afraid your name is far too long for people to remember, (me anyway) it says nothing about the site and it's far to prone for typos, mispellings etc - to save redooing the site you might even take these names and redirect to your site.... just a thought.....

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
was actually going to say something similar last night but didn't want to show up my poor spelling and lack of knowledge of the technique :D

stan414

something like www.lombago.com or lombago.ie would be far more beneficial to you and guess what - they're both available!

this would help your seo work as well as stick in people's heads

Clearly, I need to make clearer on the site that Alexander Technique is useful for more than back pain. People use it for RSI/occupational overuse, acting, golf, singing, other sports, ... So I can't use a back pain specific domain, and it's hard to find another umbrella term that 's helpful, like 'body work'.

i'm afraid your name is far too long for people to remember, (me anyway) it says nothing about the site and it's far to prone for typos, mispellings etc - to save redooing the site you might even take these names and redirect to your site.... just a thought.....

Do people type in URLs much? I've been assuming the traffic will come from searches landing on the specific pages, eg 'voice lessons Dublin'.

As I mentioned, it's really an online brochure, it's not intended to be the go to site for back pain worldwide, don't plan to sell Alexander Technique books or have affiliate programs. I would like it to be the first search result for 'Alexander Technique Dublin' (currently varies between 7-14), and to rank well for other keywords like posture.

+1 sorry but ... erm ... its you basically filling in a template ?

So its really difficult to comment on it all.

No idea about the content

OK, I understand the comments now. As you say, it's a simple site, and all there is to comment on is the content.

Thanks for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.