Status
Not open for further replies.

Igzeebihir

Hi,

I'd like some feedback on my site please if anyone is up for it...go easy on it...first timer...skillswapireland.net..

Cheers,
Ig.

Dara

Hi Ig, (forgive me for using the name you gave in your post rather than username which is a mouthful :))

Ok I like the concept and is one I think will grow for sure as people revert more and more to bartering in the tough times that are here so firstly best of luck with it.

Few comments on the site and they are just one man opinion so....

-I find it very bland, no real call to action. It doesn't jump out at me and say hey register now for this great service plus just looks too plain with no decent header or images.

-SEO is very poor (I know its a new site but doesn't rank for its own name out of 5 searches) A few links will sort that out initially.

-Found the About Us section lacking in detail and in general not a lot of info on the site to build trust.

Any reason why you went for a .net? Hate them personally and find you may in time lose a lot of visits to the .com version if there is one.

As I said just my thoughts and I think the core concept is a good one.

Igzeebihir

Cheers for the feedback

Cheers for the feedback Dara, I find it bland myself...I'm ok at the tech side but dont have many design skills...the site was built using Drupal and I havn't quite got the hang of customizing themes yet...i've added a flash banner and beefed up the "About" section. I am working on the SEO bit...muddling my way through...as for the .net address...no particular reason...I wasn't aware that one was considered more appropiate than another...maybe i will change to .com...anyone else got any input?

K

Kieran

Go with .com Drupal has some powerful SEO tools with it so a good choice (.ie if you are going to be Irish focused) .net is grand for organisations and free groups I think.

Why Blogs when there is only one blog?
No contact details not even an e-mail address?
I would put the forums on a full page and lose the Adwords on the side and the login and so on. Too cluttered and better get some users for it from friends family,postman, guy on corner as people will not join a forum with nobody on it.
Remove the time and date stamp as it is very bloggy
I would work on the call to action as well.
Dump the Drupal icon on the bottom as well people wont care it was coded in Drupal (we can just look at the code and tell :))

Work on the message on why people should register....

MOH

On the Terms page, you refer to SkillSearch, which confused me - isn't it SkillSwap?

Typos: on the 'About' page - first paragraph, 'loosing' should be 'losing'
Also on the Forums main page, Fermannagh should be Fermanagh

I missed the forums first time around - it's not in the footer menu or your tabs menu. Conversely, About isn't in your navigation menu.

Also, on the navigation menu, I get a green tick beside the current page for 'Contact' or 'Forums', but not for 'Home'.

Probably just me, but I didn't initially realised that 'Create content' is effectively a sub option under 'Forum' - I thought it was another section in it's own right. Might be clearer indented?

Finally, your introduction ends with "use the contact form on the left to contact us" - there is no form on the left, maybe change to "use the contact form to contact us" and just link to it?

Like the idea , good luck with it.

Igzeebihir

Appreciate the input

Hi Kieran, MOH,

Thanks for the feedback...all seems like sound advice...I've made several changes based on your comments...appreciate it.

Ig

learnpipe

your site

Hi there,

Overall, the site is good - drupal is a great choice. More importantly, the concept is really strong and I think with time (and the advice above) you will get the execution right.

If you can afford it, spend a little cash of getting a designer on board. I think that it will really benefit you. Take on board the SEO advice that the guys have provided - not point having a great site if people can't find it.

Good luck with it. I'll check back every so often to see how its coming along.

regards, John

Status
Not open for further replies.