Status
Not open for further replies.

gav240z

Hi Everyone,

As you may or may not know sometimes misspellings can be very lucrative and produce large amounts of traffic to a given website. However there is a caveat for anyone wishing to rank organically for these terms.

1.) Either place misspellings on / in your website.

2.) Use Pay Per Click Listings to appear.

For me I don't like to include misspellings in:

Title Tags
Headings Tags
Meta descriptions

While on some type of websites this may be ok, I'd really like to avoid it.

So what do you do to include those common problems like:
One of the biggest in terms of seo in my experience is with relation to:

Accommodation

1. accomodation
  2. acommodation
  3. acomodation
Just to name a few....

I used to use the meta keywords tag to include a list of misspellings, however if the big G (Google), doesn't even bother to look at this (correct me if I'm wrong). Then it seems a bit pointless to include it.

What's your experience / advice?

caminowebmaster

My experience is when I miss speelll something Goo fixes it for me and I don't even look at the results below before hitting the search again on the correct speeling.

However I have noticed I get quite a few (200 month) visitors when I missed spell Google once in a post.

Tom

I usually put the misspellings in the keywords tag. I don't like using them visibly on the site myself. If you have user submitted content I think it's fine when the user misspells a tricky word like accommodation. It's kinda like an excuse to include it on the page :)

gav240z

Yes he did, but he also misspelt it on his website. I'm looking for a way to cover misspellings without actually putting them on my website.

I guess I was specifically looking information regarding the meta keywords tag. Does anyone know if its beneficial to include mispellings in here, or as many suggest is this tag totally ignored (as in not read at all by Google?).

MickyWall

Gav,

easy way to do it is to put it to the test yourself and then you'll find out first hand what the search engines make of the keyword tags......

gav240z

Gav,

easy way to do it is to put it to the test yourself and then you'll find out first hand what the search engines make of the keyword tags......

True and I was thinking that too, I was hoping however that others might have already tested this for me, but perhaps they are a bit understandably tight lipped on it :).

It would make for a really interesting blog post though, don't you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.