dns records

Status
Not open for further replies.

byronyasgur

not sure if this is in the right spot

i have been trying to get a better handle on dns records and am stuck on this - im sure someone would be able to explain it to me - if i have a domain with a registrar ( say go daddy for example ) and i point the nameservers to my vps host at blacknight - then my question is this : Which account is used to set the other dns records, go daddy or blacknight ? -- both have places for setting, for example, mx records .... do i have to be carefull not to create conflicting records or does one have precedence over the other ?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
basically on godaddy you tell it to use Blacknights nameservers .. then you update your entries on blacknights systems

This is also why I don't use too many systems these days .. it justs gets too confusing :D

byronyasgur

thanks

... so does that mean that when the blacknight NS's are put in to go daddy, pointing the domain at my blacknight vps, the other settings eg mx etc that are on go daddy are ignored (and the blacknight settings are used instead). I find this a bit confusing because there's a NS setting in the blacknight VPS as well - even on domains that are registered elsewhere - what is the purpose of that - i wonder because i thought that the nameserver record was only set in one place

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Hmm in my experience ...when I transferred a domain in ... they were kept with all the same settings :)

In this case you are now saying use my blacknight settings (by telling it to use the BK nameservers) as such if its not setup on BK it won't know anything mr fawlty ...

As to the VPS settings ... tbh not entirely sure .. I've played and things have done what I've wanted but I've not changed any settings in a bit :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If you're using a 3rd party to provide DNS services ie. A records etc., then you wouldn't need to use the Blacknight DNS (or any DNS on the VPS itself)

byronyasgur

any chance anyone could point me to a good resource for learning all about DNS records and how the work together :)

Status
Not open for further replies.