Do you read AUP / TOS before signing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
God No .. I rarely read legally binding documents :D

I also think the hosting provider in question would have to prove I was a user in question before deciding to disable my account :D just because I'm the username forbairt ... doesn't mean I'm forbairt media (warning to BlackNight :p)

I assume this topic has been brought up due to "those who shall not be named" :D

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Whether you are who say you are or not is irrelevant.

Do you think that a provider can really have those kinds of terms and conditions ?

Are they even legally enforceable?

hosting365

The 'aforementioned' provider can have anything they want in their TOS, the fact that few if any of the clauses are legal might somewhat shake their enforcability in a court of law :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The 'aforementioned' provider can have anything they want in their TOS, the fact that few if any of the clauses are legal might somewhat shake their enforcability in a court of law :)

Aye.

They really are the dodgiest set of terms and conditions I've ever seen!

Forbairt

I've not read the TOS ... I read the response .. and I have to say a spell checker was definitely in order if you're going to semi formally respond on a forum saying you've seeked legal council and this is your response on it.

(oh and that you support irish jobs ... with servers in the US)

(bitter and twisted ... yes yes I am)

Forbairt

I quite like the 1 / only post from

i have used ******** for a number of years now, i have had some issues with members of my site experiencing slow connections to it, but on the hole its fine.
They have never hidden the fact that the servers are based in the US and im sure they are there for cost effective reasons, and to pass very reasonable rates onto the customer. Their customer service is excellent and i regulary drive them mad im sure :)
I realise this is not the main issue at hand, but i just thought id post my ipinion of them.
I am in no way connected with them i might ad.

I might "ad" I like the spelling/grammar mistakes ... I find it similar to another post :D
On the "hole" I find it quite interesting.
"im" sure it is from one of their customers :)
Its a good post in my "ipinion"

hosting365

In reality this debacle probably won't have much of an effect, although the google presence is bound to have a small effect.

Forbairt

probably not ... though I'd say any webmasters on boards won't be going near them in the future (apart from those already with them)

I've only one customer who hosts with them and they won't move away (I had asked them to before cus while the service works its not the greatest ... in my opinion ... slowness at nearly all times being one of the biggest issues and this was on static pages not dynamic)

Gavin

Am I missing something on this conversation? Who is the company you all speak of?

As for reading the AUP/Terms. Nah I never do.

Forbairt

Best .IE name Registar? - boards.ie ...

After making comments on speed and so on of a certain website woodentoys.ie was taken offline for a number of hours due to a Breach of the TOS the gist of which was that you shall make no negative comments about the hosting company.

It has led to various consumer issues posts on boards as well.

Gavin

Cheers for the info and I'm really glad I dont take part on boards.ie considering some of the waffle I've been reading.

As for the TOS.

Any attempts to undermine, slander, libel, threaten, or cause harm to a Lets Host server, customer, employee, or the company directly is strictly prohibited and is grounds for immediate termination without refund. In addition, we will pursue all attempts to the fullest extent of the law.

I love this statement. I may even join up just to rattle their cage a little. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.