• What's open source software?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsynnott

Actually, now I see this again, surely it's terribly hard to AVOID using some open-source software? Even Windows' TCP/IP stack is BSD-derived.

Techbot

Yep, each day I add another piece of open source to my armory. I've been using the GIMP now for several months, its perfect for my needs. I'm not a graphic designer, so I usually just need something for resizing screenshots etc. I just wish it had grouped layers.

I use open office and of course joomla. In fact I've just downloaded Freespace2 an open source online multiplayer game:D.

Is Firefox open source? methinks it is, as is sunbird the excellent ical prog.

I reckon as commercial software becomes more bloated. Open source will become the defacto.

This may sound odd, but I think of all the major car companies. Their selling points tend to be interiors or inbuilt gps systems or playstations built into the seats. ie the developments in actual car design has long past reached its peak. Now car suppliers have to find other ways to make a profit.

Its why we have all these DRM problems with vista. Microsoft have succeeded in selling their OS to everyone, now they need other ways to rake in the cash.

Open source is different. Sure, the proggies still have a way to go. But in open source, bloat is simply unacceptable. Give it a few more years and commercial software (probably bespoke and niche) will be the alternative.

Open Source Alternative - Find Open Source Alternatives to commercial software

daviddoran

Lots and lots; Ubuntu, PHPMyAdmin, MySQL, PHP, Apache, Filezilla, Firefox, g++,Wordpress, VLC Media Player.
You name it, there is probably a great Open Source version or one that is in the works.

dbee

Yes, I use almost 100% open source software. And I release some open source as well !

Ubuntu/GIMP/PHP/Apache/MySQL/Postgres ... blah, blah, blah

PS: technobot .... grouped layers are coming soon to GIMP :)

onlinebiz

Yes,I use many.
I use PHPMyAdmin, MySQL, PHP, Apache to build my website.
use the firefox to surf the internet.
use the Linux on my server and pc.
I'm a open-source mania.

d-tour

yes me too, i would go so far as to seek out an open source solution if i needed one instead of proprietary.

I did a college course on open source and the movement, and id never go back.
If you are a developer its great to take an open source project, rebrand it and give it to your customers.

SourceForge.net: Welcome to SourceForge.net

Mike

The usual LAMP plus OpenOffice, Thunderbird and Firefox on my desktop. Using Navicat instead of PHPMyAdmin. Also looking at Ruby on Rails at the moment. I have an admin app which I'm thinking of re-writing using Flex as the UI 'though instead of HTML as I like the shiney buttons and accordions and stuff. I'm a flightsim buff too and whilst I use FSX I use a lot of freeware tools to 'fly' on the VATSIM network (also free but not really open source). Also play (but not so much any more) Enemy Territory online which is FOA. Erm, Google Earth, is that considered Open Source or just Freeware, dunno. I've also used an Open Source design once from Open Source Web Design - Download free web design templates. which uses the same type of licencing,

cheers,

Mike

MiaDeRoca

I love open source software!
We use open source software for CMS, Blogs and Online-Shops.
When I do give lecturers/workshops I usually let students work with open source (and yes researching, finding appropriate forums is just a way to keep ahead and important to learn for to-become-webmasters - tricky thing to e.g. establish an accessbile, spider-able website in two languages via Joomla or Typo3 or ...).

companyhotseat

Open Source Software

Open Source is the business. Its not only the fact that its free but the arguement that in most cases its much better than Proprietry.

Take Open Office Writer for example. It has the fastest PDF creator I have ever seen!!! But the problem in using this in a Business Situation is that the formatting gets totally messed up swiching from Word To Open Office. Will they ever be fully integrated!!! :cool:

Brionglóid

But the problem in using this in a Business Situation is that the formatting gets totally messed up swiching from Word To Open Office.
In my old internet cafe days we used to have Open Office and it was a constant source of pain. Sometimes the changes were subtle, sometimes they're far more pronounced. Especially when people brought in discs with their heavily formatted word docs. Then again Word docs are a pain anyway. We'd no shortage of whiners who used lots and lots of little boxes and tables on their CVs or set ridiculously tight margins to squash in the text. They'd spend hours fixing it all then emailing it off only for it to be garbled on the other end anyway. There's really no way to maintain the integrity of a file like that unless you convert it to something like PDF.

Will they ever be fully integrated!!! :cool:
Not likely. MS don't want anyone using Open Office hence they deliberately design their software so that files must be opened by MS Office.
They don't even want people using earlier versions of MS Office anymore, hence the fact that files saved by Office 2007 are, by default, incompatible with older versions.

Tbh, though, I found Open Office to have several flaws too, most notably the fact that later versions took up more and more resources and crashes became more and more frequent especially with processes hanging when I try to shut down (in Windows versions)

So at the moment I'm using Office 2003. And if you dug a bayonet into the back of my neck I still wouldn't upgrade to 2007, so I'll probably have to start looking around for an alternative soon enough.

Reminds me, does anyone know if OO compatible with docx files yet?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
I've had major problems with documents formatted by M$ Office before ... in the end I had to use the jobs machine ... I've since bought office for the Mac but still really like the idea of open office ... they just released an updated version the other day I do believe ...

RidRed

I use open source software too.

I use too open source software. Open source software is a very good solution foe e-commerce. :D

njpr

I'd be surprised if anyone on this forum doesn't... it's the way to go...

From WAMP to LAMP, tis the way to go!

Favourites are Textpattern, WordPress, Drupal, CMSMadeSimple, OSCommerce/ZenCart and Firefox! And recently JAVA... God Bless your cotton socks, Sun Micro.

input

due to low finances I have to use it, that said some can be better than the normal type due to less emphasis on profit

Status
Not open for further replies.