Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph Grogan

Hi people...

Any one know much about flash cs3.... I got a magazine with a tutorial about making a 3d menu bar with papervision. I did the tutorial installed everything like it asked and when i hit the CTRL + ENTER button i got this warning back at me

"1172: Definition flash.display.stage could not be found."

I tries find something with google but nothing.... and ideas anyone

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
not entirely sure its a while since I've done much of anything with flash ...

sounds like you haven't imported the correct library ?

you have an import flash.display.DisplayObject or something similar in there ? :)

Joseph Grogan

Yeah thats what i though but tried everything and i chagned the import folder of the as classes that were given to me on the magazine but nothing. And the fact that that a flash import i think its part of the flash classes not the files from the mag. So not sure what to do bout it... I will keep looking anyways

Forbairt

no worries ...

unfortunately its a while since I touched flash apart from basic fades / banner type stuff so I'm pretty much out of the loop at the moment when its comes to actionscript

Joseph Grogan

Yea... I was really into it when i was in college but when i got out i havent really had the time so i decided that at the new year i was going to make a more active effort with it......

I wondering could the problem be when i installed and it didnt install all the files. I doubt it but i wonder.

Forbairt

just to add menus in flash are generally a big no no

I'll hope he already knows that ... and guess its more to play with papervision than anything else :)

And well flash menus do have a place ... in flash applications

Joseph Grogan

Yes james You would be right. I do know that. And it is to play with papervision...... :)

I know that flash is not great for SEO but to be honest there is a time and a place for some flashy stuff on the web:D

Forbairt

A lot more can be done with flash these days as well and you can link to sections within your main flash file or so I believe.

I always go back to one of my favourite sites from a few years back and I still love it ...

www.lookandfeel.com

select the old site on the left :)

Forbairt

Its one of the few flash websites that I can actually go back to again and again ... not sure when I first saw it .. maybe 2002 ? and its still as good now as it was then for me ... very simple ... catchy music ... nice clean interface ...

again not idea for SEO .. but I don't think they really have to worry about SEO :) maybe about accessibility though

Edit: damnit ... I posted ... I was on 6 6 6 posts *sighs*

CiaranR

Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com
Not if they degrade properly. As soon as Google stop being lazy and sort out their SWFObject issues, then Flash menus may well be back in vogue.
True that is why i said generally. Most people just throw a swf file up and wonder why only their home page gets indexed

Joseph Grogan

Wonder how long it will take google to do that.....

Is there a way to help that by lets say give xml site maps or even using xml files to display content with in flash

Forbairt

Technically you could setup the sitemap

.htaccess should allow you to give individual urls to your pages...

flash should be smart enough to know the url its on and serve up the correct location

given you know the location you could pull the "dynamic" content and update the page title / content assuming simple enough content could go into the flash alternative description ?

and ... away you go ?

You could put the content into a <noscript> element .. assuming that you serve up your flash using one of the javascript workarounds for page validation.

No Javascript = No Flash ... = they get the noscript message ...

Google should technically be happy and able to index the noscript text ...

is it worth doing this ... up to oyou ? ...

Status
Not open for further replies.