Administrator
Staff member
So yesterday's emergency budget (bludget!) ... what impact did it have on:

• You personally?
  • Your business?
  • Your clients?

garycocs

Since I'm in Melbourne it didn't really affect me much :D

Ah talking to people at home (not yet married have their own place) things aren't that bad for them, have to pay more taxes but their mortgage prices have dropped to nothing so . . .

How are you affected Michele?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'll have to pay more tax (as will most people on PAYE)

Cigarettes went up 25 cents a pack, so I stocked up on them this evening :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Wellllllllllllllll you give give up the fags and save yourself a fortune???? :D
Not going to happen
I was in Germany recently and the cost of my usual brand was practically half what I was paying here pre-budget

garycocs

I see a can of worms being opened here, both my folks smoke and jebus they're spending a fortune on cigarettes, they say the same about Spain being cheaper, but I make the point that they want to live in Ireland etc. not in Spain.

caminowebmaster

On the cigs - I am off to Prague soon for a few days, that will look after the fags for a few months - and then back there to get married in Sep, then for xmas - €2 for a pack

On the tax take - I have been muttering for the last few years that the tax payable in Ireland was far too low if the country really did want to invest in services - this budget will affect me little - but some clients are going down, that has been coming for a while.

garycocs

Ya we're about par with Sweden now when it comes to the tax, the thing is we don't have the same services AT ALL, i.e. 18 months maternity paternity leave that kinda thing. If I was paying that tax I'd expect better facilities not sure if they can afford to invest in those facilities and infrastructure with the increases they'll get??

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
At least they didn't increase the cost of a bottle of wine, cos that would have killed me :)

link8r

Ya we're about par with Sweden now when it comes to the tax, the thing is we don't have the same services AT ALL, i.e. 18 months maternity paternity leave that kinda thing. If I was paying that tax I'd expect better facilities not sure if they can afford to invest in those facilities and infrastructure with the increases they'll get??

Would 18 months paternity leave be an employer cost and nothing to do with increased taxes?

Do we pay higher taxes because of the low corporation tax?

Is the low corporation tax still effective?

I didn't see anything extreme in the budget. But I was surprised that the mortgage interest relief was going to be abolished in time. It probably won't affect me but people who do buy their own houses do at least remove themselves from the "strain" of having the government house them (whether or not the government should house people is another matter!) - so whats wrong with not paying tax on the interest on the mortgage?

Status
Not open for further replies.