Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

Howdi,
Is there any way to track clicks from a html newsletter using something like google analytics? Can code such as - onclick="javascript:urchinTracker('logo');" - be added to URLS within the newsletter?

I know you can't directly add JS to newsletters but can a system be hacked together to cater for click tracking (for free)?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If you add Javascript to newsletters it won't get past a lot of corporate filters.

If you want to track clicks I'd recommend using something like Group Metrics:
http://www.group-metrics.com

Oceanwaver

Cormac have you looked at Newsweaver or IMN Inc (in the US)? Their email marketing has superb, reliable tracking - phpmail etc get blocked by the majority of the major filters.

TheMenace

I don't know what kind of detail you need but wouldn't a MySQL database and a few simple PHP scripts be more than enough to get the data you need?

paul

Ninja
You could write a script pretty easily. I've done something to track affiliate links, basically I include a file that counts the call of the file, and use the php header to redirect the visitor. If you wanted to check something more closely you could use a database to see what customers click and read things.

dwatson

Cormac have you looked at Newsweaver or IMN Inc (in the US)? Their email marketing has superb, reliable tracking - phpmail etc get blocked by the majority of the major filters.

Newsweaver are excellent in tracking clicks. I use this & follow up with statcounter.com to monitor activity outside the newsletter..

gav240z

Howdi,
Is there any way to track clicks from a html newsletter using something like google analytics? Can code such as - onclick="javascript:urchinTracker('logo');" - be added to URLS within the newsletter?

I know you can't directly add JS to newsletters but can a system be hacked together to cater for click tracking (for free)?

Use extra parameters in your URL:

utmsource=
utmmedium=

EG:

example. com/?utm_source=My_Email_Source&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=2008_04_April_Special

Tracking Clicks in Emails and Web Pages Using Google Analytics

Status
Not open for further replies.