Transferring Ownership of an IE domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I was going to post a thread a few weeks back for a .ie domain I had which I didn't plan on renewing. I forgot about it and someone bought it. It must be a hot-ish domain because the person who bought it had insider knowledge (to a certain extent). :)
Unfortunately you can't sell IE domains in public
I think I know which one you are referring to :)

He'd have picked it up off the deleted list

Cormac

I wasn't so much going to sell as to give it to someone who wanted it. Is that even possible? Could I transfer an ie domain to someone else a week or two before it is up for renewal?

How often is the list on BK for deleted .ie domains updated? I noticed some pretty ones a few day ago.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't so much going to sell as to give it to someone who wanted it. Is that even possible? .

Yes

Could I transfer an ie domain to someone else a week or two before it is up for renewal?

Yes you could

How often is the list on BK for deleted .ie domains updated? I noticed some pretty ones a few day ago.

It pulls in an RSS feed and the page updates whenever the CMS' cache expires (if that makes sense)

Basically the problem with selling / trading IE domains is with the IEDR's rules.

Under the rules it is possible to transfer ownership of an IE domain

BUT

The new owner must be able to meet the registration criteria

So, for example, I own micheleneylon.ie

There is no way that I can sell it to anyone else UNLESS they qualify for the domain, which would be pretty much impossible unless their name was Michele Neylon or something damn close

If you take the example of say:
bait.ie (currently on the deleted list)

If you were to register that domain name using an RBN or similar you could, in theory, sell it to someone else BUT they would have to be able to qualify for the registration as well.

In other words, and I'm sorry if this wording is a bit awkward, the registrant has to qualify for the domain

As far as the registry is concerned if you list a domain for sale then you would be in breach of the registration rules (I've seen them threaten / warn domain holders about this in the past)

nevf

In all honesty though, is that not a bit stupid in so many aspects. yah sure, it's secure, but it sure throws a large, ugly spanner in the works...

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
In all honesty though, is that not a bit stupid in so many aspects. yah sure, it's secure, but it sure throws a large, ugly spanner in the works...
Which part?
What do you mean?
What are you referring to exactly?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing

erm ?

confused ...

In some ways I like the restrictions the IEDR imposes ... Its annoying as hell don't get me wrong but at least it means all the good domains haven't just been snapped up and are now being held to ranson.

And really if you have to be valid to have a certain domain .. then why not hold the next domain holder to the same rules .. or else I just ask my friend ... john dvd ... to register dvd.ie for me ... and then I give him 20 quid for it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.