Status
Not open for further replies.

searchcreations

Just looking to get some feedback on whether there is any opportunity to acquire a .ie domain that has been registered but in all proability is not going to be used as it has been 6/7 months since it was registered and it was only registered for a year. I came across a stat recently of over 6,000 registered domains without a live website.

Any plans for IEDR to bring in a "piss or get off the pot" approach that if you register a domain you have to use it within 6 months otherwise it can be recycled?

p.s. hope the analogy is not too offensive for the moderator:rolleyes:

jmcc

Just looking to get some feedback on whether there is any opportunity to acquire a .ie domain that has been registered but in all proability is not going to be used as it has been 6/7 months since it was registered and it was only registered for a year. I came across a stat recently of over 6,000 registered domains without a live website.
All .ie domains are registered for a year at a time. If it is an Irish search engine type domain, I think I know the owner.

Any plans for IEDR to bring in a "piss or get off the pot" approach that if you register a domain you have to use it within 6 months otherwise it can be recycled?
How do you know if the domain is not being used? A lot of businesses will have registered their .ie as well as the equivalent in com/net/org/biz etc. A domain could be a mail-only domain.

Regards...jmcc

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I always find the comments about "unused" domains amusing.

A lot of people forget that domains aren't just for websites and that "www" isn't the only valid A record possible ....

One of our more active domains would appear to be unused to the untrained eye, yet it's used every day by hundreds of users who need to access a particular service. Most people won't notice this, as the service hangs off a "non-standard" sub-domain ....

googlebomber76

Let's just say you had a few idle domains, what would you put there that could generate a little money for chips while you work on your other plans...

raul

:)

Some people invest in domains as others do in other things.What would you ask next?...if somebody's buying more than a house or car they have to live in or drive all of them in the same time or loose them?

jmcc & blacknight - very true what you're saying + sometimes happens to have sooo many domains and sooo little time ( or expertise ) to develop them that you have to let them " sleeping" for a while...and is nothing wrong in that .

Cheers,
Raul.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Raul

I've got a lot of domains that I have plans for, but as you say it's all about finding the time...

I'm currently working on one site which will hopefully be up and running in a couple of days (depending on how little sleep I can get away with!)

The company owns quite a few cool domains that we haven't had time to put live.. we're working on it, but it takes time to do it properly

Michele

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
in a similar boat ... I've about 10 domains ... while probably not worth that much in themselves are worth a lot to me ... its all about finding the time to work on the projects :( ... 24 hours just isn't enough time in the day.

RedCardinal

I'm afraid to look these days at how many domains I own :(

Ideas, ideas, ideas (and too many impulse purchases thrown in for anti-fun)

But starting to turn more ideas into reality. Curious as to Michele's new site... large product feeds... keeping eye on...

Forbairt

I'm afraid to look these days at how many domains I own :(

Ideas, ideas, ideas (and too many impulse purchases thrown in for anti-fun)

But starting to turn more ideas into reality. Curious as to Michele's new site... large product feeds... keeping eye on...

I had to stop myself recently ... about 20 domains I wanted and I just had to say .. have I done anything with the ones I have ... no .. hence its just a bit of a blackhole. Unless I got more into trading domains and monetizing my domains ... theres not much point (though hopefully I'll have a bit more time shortly)

ziycon

Only today i put non-renewal on about 8 domains that are just wasting away, lost complete interest in them, replaced the 8 domains with one new domain today that i WILL use!:D

paul

Ninja
Why not try to sell them ziycon ?

my domain count is small, but has risen about 800% since this time last year.

Forbairt

They'd have to have the rights or entitlement to the domain of some kind. Then selling them as such is not allowed AHEM ... :) but you can transfer ownership but they have to show a claim to the domain.

Anything interesting ? :D

Forbairt

Thats twice now you've asked that. I'd suspect your in the market for a right old juicy domain, no?

aren't we all :D (recently enough held off on getting 1 domain I wanted... 1 month later it was gone .. was kicking myself about it)

And I guess its a mixture of curiosity and just being plain nosey :)

He registered them for a reason originally .. they are .ie domains so he went to some small bit of trouble getting them no doubt ...

Status
Not open for further replies.