Web 2.0 distracts from good design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gala

>>"Most people just want to get in, get it and get out," said Mr Nielsen. "For them the web is not a goal in itself. It is a tool."

He makes a valid point there anyway!

TheMenace

Couldn't agree with him more to be honest. When most companies, up to an including large, multinational corporations, refuse to get the basics right on their own sites and portals, it's hardly any wonder that they can't successfully deliver strong and usable social networking and UGC applications.

dereko

Interesting article alright. Can't see many people disaggreeing with this point of view. Somewhat generic though would have been good with some examples. I bit like a horiscope ;), plays it a bit too safe but still something you can relate to.

What sites do this?

TheMenace

plays it a bit too safe

Yeah, it's the typical Jakob Nielson cunning bulls**t. If the whole Web 2.0 thing doesn't work out, he can say 'told you so' and if it's a roaring success that eventually levels off, then he can say his warnings brought some kind of decorum to the whole fad.

On this particular point, I agree with him. As for Nielson himself, well I think he's an absolute twit. A master at stating the bleeding obvious and a man who's single-handedly managed to destroy corporate and big-industry web design by taking usability out of the hands of the people who know about it and putting it into the hands of suited wags who know f**k all about IA or interface design.

ph3n0m

Yeah, it's the typical Jakob Nielson cunning bulls**t. If the whole Web 2.0 thing doesn't work out, he can say 'told you so' and if it's a roaring success that eventually levels off, then he can say his warnings brought some kind of decorum to the whole fad.

On this particular point, I agree with him. As for Nielson himself, well I think he's an absolute twit. A master at stating the bleeding obvious and a man who's single-handedly managed to destroy corporate and big-industry web design by taking usability out of the hands of the people who know about it and putting it into the hands of suited wags who know f**k all about IA or interface design.

bitter much? :)

ph3n0m

Passionate about my bread and butter is all. I wouldn't say bitter... although watching the way this industry is run in Ireland really annoys me.

Then isnt it apt that we continue to be modern day versions of Sisyphus, and constantly push and remind the industry what is required and should never be overlooked

ph3n0m

I'm sorry, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

neither do I - was trying to be all gainful and insightful and then I realised I actually hadnt made a point, let alone a good one.

I think my intention was to say something like people like those on this board have to constantly remind the industry, in Ireland, that there are standards, etc when it comes to websites. And my analogy of Sisyphus was that its a constant uphill battle

Thats what I was trying to say - obviously I didnt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.