Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I know my first web page ceased to exist a long time ago....

It was one of those freebie "build your own site" things back in '94....

What about the rest of you?

Giblet

Something I did with FreeWebs.com when I was about 10!

John

grandad

Apart from a terrible mess I put on Geocities when it first opened, my first site was Irishlynx.com It was one of the first Irish directories and became very popular. Gave me a great taste for web development!!

georgiecasey

Wasn't irishlynx.com featured in the rte guide or something YEARssss back? Can't believe I remember that. my first one was a few days after I got a net connection in christmas 99! i had it designed and ready to got as soon as i got the internet. still there as well. Clare Links : Ennis, Clare

grandad

Wasn't irishlynx.com featured in the rte guide or something YEARssss back? Can't believe I remember that.
Wow! I'm impressed. Yes. The Guide did do something on it and I have an old copy somewhere. There was also a feature in the Irish Times Educational Suppliment and in PCLive.

Those were the great days when you could write a site and were guaranteed that there weren't hundreds of clones trying to do the same thing. I think Lynx's only big competitor was Doras. Lynx used to get around 15,000 page impressions per week, which wasn't bad for those days [late 90s].

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Those were the great days when you could write a site and were guaranteed that there weren't hundreds of clones trying to do the same thing. I think Lynx's only big competitor was Doras. Lynx used to get around 15,000 page impressions per week, which wasn't bad for those days [late 90s].

Pity there was no adsense back then :)

You'd have made a killing!

Gavin

A few years back when I was doing Tech Support, I built a few html pages onto our local network. The info was just some common PC fixes with phone numbers etc. After the boss wanted it removed, I fired it up onto 20m hosting so we could still use it, what a nightmare for pop-ups.

Anyway, last year I was sitting in the States bored and came across the login details in my inbox. I decided to look at it and make some changes just to pass some time. I started looking across the net for help on web design etc and discovered the DP forums, found out what SEO and Adsense was about and decided to put every free minute into learning the SEO world.

Now that site has well over 70 pages, pulls in over $50 in Adsense and ranks pretty good for some key terms. I have 2 websites, 3 blogs and getting ready to launch my next project. I also run PPC campaigns on azoogle ads and have just broke even, still new to the landing page game.

Better yet, I have landed a full time SEO job in Dublin but hopefully that will last though as clients can be difficult to deal with at times.

georgiecasey

Whats the full time SEO job?? I'd hate to have to deal with clients in SEO, they just want results obviously, and you know how hard it can be sometimes to get sites to rank. Whats your username on DP cormac?

Gavin

The SEO job is for an online booking company in the hotel trade. I agree clients do expect results fast but for the most part my client understands it can take time, he is very old school in SEO. Its when results start slipping the pressure button is applied and the last Google update wasnt a big help.

My name on DP is turfsniffer.

RedCardinal

The SEO job is for an online booking company in the hotel trade. I agree clients do expect results fast but for the most part my client understands it can take time, he is very old school in SEO. Its when results start slipping the pressure button is applied and the last Google update wasnt a big help.

My name on DP is turfsniffer.

aha so that was you over there I was 'talking' to earlier about .eu's

Status
Not open for further replies.