Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

I've been mulling over getting a laptop for some time.

I'm a recent and happy windows-2-mac convert who has a iMac for home use. I was thinking of going the Apple route once more by picking up a MacBook (829euro from their refurb store).

This morning I noticed a Dell special for a 1gb RAM, 80GB HD, Dual Core Prc, for less than 500euro. Sounds like a bargin.

Which laptop?

paul

Ninja
€500 sounds good. I would get some extra RAM (not from DELL) and an extra external HD when you run out of space.

What do you need the laptop for ? Are you planning on gaming ?

Cormac

Howya Paul. I don't play any games.

The laptop is a secondary computer that I can take down to Cork/Waterford when I'm away for weekends and all that stuff. I'm thinking there is little point in having two MACs...but then again I can put XP on the Mac if needed.

The full spec for the Dell Laptop is:
Inspriron 6400
Intel Dual - Core Processor 1.73GHZ
2 X 512mb Ram
15.4 widescreen
Vista (eh...no thanks, i'll throw XP onto it)

The MacBook:

• 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 512MB memory
  • 60GB hard drive1
  • Combo drive

Cormac

The Dell is actually priced at 699 after VAT. I might just go the extra hog and get the mac instead so.

ButtermilkJack

When are you planning to buy Cormac? I'll be selling a MacBook whenever the new line of MacBook Pro's come out, which could be 2 weeks, or could be 2 months. You never know with Apple!

Cormac

I just ordered five minutes ago. Got a case and a wireless mighty mouse for less than half price so I'm happy. 860euro total. Nice deal.

johnmryan

Have a iMac myself, love it, but bought a cheap windows lappy on ebay, so i could test my sites on it, and use some stuff which is not for mac users

Did yea buy it online? and i|Book? Kewl

dereko

i am in a in a similar delima. Just bought a dell pc for the office but i think i'm going to buy a mac laptop next for home. Where is this refurb store you talk about?

Cormac

Here it is - Apple Store - Republic of Ireland - Refurbished iPod - Enjoy!

If you decide to buy from Apple directly I would advise you to ring their sales team. I haggled with them and managed to get a wireless mighty mouse and a case for next to nothing. I told him I was in two minds about going for the macbook as Dell are offering a free printer with their latest laptop....It went on from there :)

vijay

The features mentioned above by cormac.I would like to know about the laptop containing these features would be of what cost?

Tom

I recently ordered a Dell Vostro 17" Laptop with excellent specs for just under 1k. I'm still waiting on it to arrive though. Can't wait to upgrade from this one, the bigger screen is gonna be sweet. :D

dereko

I recently ordered a Dell Vostro 17" Laptop with excellent specs for just under 1k. I'm still waiting on it to arrive though. Can't wait to upgrade from this one, the bigger screen is gonna be sweet. :D

I bought that exact one for both my brother and my house mate. they are huge.. you even have room for a normal number pad on the keyboard.

Did you get it with truelife or what ever the call the shinny screen?

Tom

Yeah I kinda wanted to go for a desktop that I could fold up and take with me, power over portability. :D I went for the default screen. I was reading up on wxga/wsxga/wuxga (sp?) and decided to go with the default wxga screen because the high resolution and small fonts on the wuxga would probably be too much for me (probably better for CAD use or similar). 1900x440 or whatever it is will be plenty fine for me, certainly nicer than 1024x768 :) But I did upgrade the HD to a 7200rpm so it should be a beast :D

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
We're currently looking into replacing all the desktops with laptops and docking stations

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
We're currently looking into replacing all the desktops with laptops and docking stations

any particular reason ? :)

In the first big company I worked in they did this and while it was great I think I only took the machines home once or twice. There was at the time a huge difference in price between the desktops and laptops ... now I guess you can get pretty decent laptops for the 500mark ( I know I bought herself a cheapish laptop from dell which does the job for that around a year ago)

Do your staff actually bring work home with them ?? or move around the place that much ?

Laptop + Monitor + Docking station + keyboard + mouse is still going to cost a good bit more than a €600 or €700 dell machine that'll be up to the task with a 19inch monitor

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
While some of our staff are unlikely to ever need to take work home, others do. Some of the desktops need to be upgraded anyway, so it makes sense to examine all the options

Status
Not open for further replies.