Status
Not open for further replies.

daviddoran

I like it. It seems very professional and full of information.
As for the validation a version 2 shouldn't be required, most of the problems seem to be the case of the attributes i.e "onLoad" instead of "onload" but otherwise very nice.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Very tasty

However, the links in the footer look extremely dodgy.

The site has a Google PR of 6, so why the blackhat techniques?

the guru

It actually has a Google ranking of 7, when you type web development company in Google we show up first. I'm sure there is a valid reason for which is far beyond my control but they're working. I have been advised that the city's mentioned we have done prominent work in and continue too and as of this year and next we are planning to open offices in a few of the larger cities

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Fair enough

As for the PR - it's 6 at the moment from an Irish IP (there's an update underway at present)

RedCardinal

Very tasty

However, the links in the footer look extremely dodgy.

The site has a Google PR of 6, so why the blackhat techniques?

Just internal navigation links with good descriptive (targeted) anchor text :)
Obviously crafted for search engines rather than humans, but still informative for humans (to a degree).

What did you see as blackhat Michele?

Nice site - looks good, professional and trust worthy.

TheMenace

Looks great. Good work!

A couple of suggestions from a technical perspective if I may:
  • More of an effort could be made to separate presentation from content using CSS/XHTML. Tables, ideally, should only be used for tabular data.
  • Keep your tag attributes in lowercase... onmouseout and not onMouseOut, onload and not onLoad.
  • I would recommend using SWFObject (deconcept › SWFObject: Javascript Flash Player detection and embed script) instead of UFO for embedding Flash as it's lighter in weight.
  • Why not use sIFR (Mike Davidson -- sIFR 2.0: Rich Accessible Typography for the Masses) for your headings? It's much easier for maintenance as all your headings are text instead of images, and Google will prefer this too - especially if you nest your headings properly!
  • No need for the links at the bottom of the page once you sort out some of the above. This may be considered shifty practice by Google. I'm sure Richard and the others can tell you what the effect of this kind of black hat SEO is.

MickyWall

The guru, I suspect you already knew the answer that you would get - worth a keyword stuffed link though on your behalf.

Great looking site, no surprise that you have such a tasty client list.
Oh and even a touch of comedy! Good stuff.

the guru

Hey Guys cheers for the feedback, as for the keyword stuffed link I dont actually know why that happens

RedCardinal

The forum grabs the title of the page linked to - ll automatic so don't worry about being perceived as a spammer :)

Still dont understand why anyone sees those links as blackhat? At worst a tinge of grey, but nothing 'illegal' that I can think of (I've seen far worse) :)

TheMenace

Is he for real there?
I thought google could ban this type of behaviour.

I know. It's absolutely crazy. Especially coming from an established Web agency with clients like Nissan and Ryanair! I'm not a huge fan of Continuum's work but they're obviously doing something right... and a whole lot wrong too by the look of it.

sosolid

TheMenace,

'scuse my ignorance, but when you say "a whole lot wrong too by the look of it" and "shoddy work" - what should I be looking for/seeing?

TheMenace

"shoddy work"

In this instance I was referring to the shoddy work produced by many of the larger Irish Web companies.

"a whole lot wrong too by the look of it"

In this instance I was referring to Continuums on-site SE spam (the faded links in the footer!)

I do see that they're advertising for the position of SEO'er though, so hopefully that should sort that out!

glengara

Have to agree with the others about those links The Guru, kind of thing that works well until you suddenly find yourself "disappeared" and wonder why. I'm all in favour of exploiting internal links and anchor text but that's very thin ice, it's a nice site, be a shame to lose it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.