Status
Not open for further replies.

Byron

Not loading up for me at the mo (yes I did do the Google test)

Byron

Hmm it works in Firefox, just not Chrome, (ponders why).

It's nice a clean cut, does the job. Maybe the top links should change color on hover / selection to "show they are working" to the casual user.

Also there is alot of white space in my screen res towards the end of the screen, you can porbably fit a few more items onto the homepage, but I do appreciate the simplicity. - Maybe you could include top ads, etc on the homepage, just for ease of navigation, and maybe a little explaination into what the site is, how much it costs, etc, at no smaller than font size 13px.

I do like the idea though and wish you the best of luck with growing the site.

Byron

anyone else having problems. I cleared hist and ran both ff and chr at same time. Chr never loaded.. No trouble with rte, google, etc

CelticJim

loaded up fine in Chrome for me,also FF and IE.Nice and clean,i like it.Best of luck.I'm actually gonna use it for something where I need input from farmers.clicked your ads once

blueark

I like it overall; it's clean, very easy to navigate, and doesn't overwhelm the user IMHO. Also, I found it worked just fine in IE, FF, Chrome & Safari on my PC at least.

A couple of small considerations:
  • I agree with Byron about links changing colour on hover.
  • On the home page, under each main category (e.g. Animals), you list a few sample subcategories (e.g. Cattle, Horses, etc). For some reason, I was expecting them to be direct links to those subcategories, but they're not. Maybe that would help people get directly to the relevant content for them?
  • Although there is a search facility on the site, it's on a separate page, and it might help if the 'simple search' box appeared on the top of each page too.
But overall, a nice site, well done!

shadow

1 more thing I would add to the above is to put pagination on the bottom of the pages as well as on the top. Its a pain to scroll back up to go to the next page.

I didnt notice there were more pages will I had looked at 2 or 3 categories, and I usually notice these things right off the bat.

sparky

I'm looking at the Animal Ads section. When listing the ads, you could do with displaying a date, so that you can see the ads are recent.

Rgds

tricky_d

Some of the typography has poor contrast. Grey on grey and white on light grey especially.

You're not selling why I should advertise with you. Need info on visitor numbers, ads clicked through etc. User/advertiser feedback also has potential. The ad model isn't clear. The preferred model should be something like free basic ad, regular ad with some extra whistles, top of listing ad, banner at top of page ad and homepage ad - all priced accordingly. Maybe side bar ads too, if you can tweak the layout.

hth

robototitico

OK, I made the changes you guys said.

1. I put the pagination at the bottom of the lists too.
2. I put in a better tagline which might be more enticing for potential advertisers, and includes user numbers.
3. I put in a search option on the front page.

ahal

Nice site, a bit grey overall for my liking. I think a bit of colour used sparingly for effect might not go astray? I would also put the navigation on the left.

I would reserve my main critique for the '€1' advertisers. It does my head in. Everyone hates a cute hoor who won't give a price, so I'd make stating a price a precondition of advertising.

Just my tuppence worth, best of luck.

Tony.

tricky_d

ahal is right: navigation to the left, that's where users generally expect it and the grey is a bit lifeless and besides green would be the expected brand colour for farm-related sites.

And on prices, they're probably the most important requirement for me making a purchase decision. So much so that I usually don't bother with a site that doesn't display the prices. Put them in.

The grey text has poor contrast especially on grey backgrounds and for many is very difficult to read.

ahal

I think someone suggested going with a green theme. That, imho, is a good idea. There is nothing wrong with your site, but at present it falls into the 'just another site' category visually.

I'm no expert and I'm not here to knock you / your site. I currently have a site online which looks like it was designed in 1995, thanks to the software limitations and my own lack of coding skills. I have however a background in Graphics, and have done a huge amount of research.

Firstly, how about making your banner a corrugated roof, coming to an apex in the middle, with 'Farmads' bang in the middle? A few hens wandering? That I think would give it character, or maybe a thatched farmhouse / field picture with 'Farmads' superimposed?

I'd brighten the 'Farm' and drop the grey from the 'ads' part of the title. Regarding the 'place a free ad' button, why not make it stand out? - colour it yellow or something so the eye is drawn up there? I don't like the enormous facebook link button, it looks like an attempt to fill space.

It's a great idea and a great domain name, and there's nothing WRONG with it fundamentally. It's just that it doesn't grab the visitor by the crotch, um, so to speak. I also like your favicon, but please, colour that damned hen!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony.

Status
Not open for further replies.