Status
Not open for further replies.

eclarke

Hi All,

Good news a TradeDoubler publisher launched a new site this morning.

Check it out... Gadgetrepublic.com

[FONT=&quot]After nine years of covering breaking technology news at siliconrepublic.com, we have watched our readers' appetite for gadget-related stories and product reviews grow exponentially.

Gadgetrepublic.com was born from a desire to give this audience a place of their own on the web, one dedicated to the exclusive coverage of consumer technology news and reviews.

Hundreds of new products are released every week into the growing consumer electronics market, and here at gadgetrepublic.com our job and our passion is to keep you up to date on the latest in computing, mobile and gaming, as well as personal and home technology.

From breaking gadget news to in-depth video reviews and insights into digital culture and trends from around the world, gadgetrepublic.com will be your finger on the digital pulse.

Gadgetrepublic.com, the sister site of siliconrepublic.com, has experienced technology writers who know this market. We know what our audience want: the latest gadgets, gizmos, games and tech toys reviewed, rated, sourced and priced. We see the future, and it is gadget-shaped.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Br,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Eoin
[/FONT]

n3tFl0w

I know you didn't ask for a review but its horrible looking. Just like silicon republic is horrible looking. Especially when ads are blocked...

But how and ever, I'm sure it'll do very well as the content is looking very interesting.

Redfly

Site looks TERRIBLE. But the absolute worst part about it, is the lack of RSS.

I went over there to subscribe as I am subscriber of SR but no hope. No structure, content is all over the place.

And do we need another Gadget review site? SR is "good" (despite the lack of comments) because it offers relevant and unique content. Why should I read GR if I can get quicker and more in depth reviews from engadget et al?

Not trying to be harsh. Just honest feedback.

babyboy808

Site looks TERRIBLE. But the absolute worst part about it, is the lack of RSS.

I went over there to subscribe as I am subscriber of SR but no hope. No structure, content is all over the place.

And do we need another Gadget review site? SR is "good" (despite the lack of comments) because it offers relevant and unique content. Why should I read GR if I can get quicker and more in depth reviews from engadget et al?

Not trying to be harsh. Just honest feedback.

Gadget Republic - Feeds ?

Cormac

I twittered about the site earlier on today but I didn't get any replies or notice (I don't think so anyway). While the site isn't the most visually appealing site, the performance of the homepage is horrendous. This image shows 137 HTTP requests but in the end I think it stopped at approx 180.

No JS compression. Inline JS. The flash movies are polling for images on page load. It's a browser crasher and is going to eat bandwidth. Gadgetrepublic .com/fs/doc/videos/gr-c905.flv is a 28mb file loaded onpage load.

The site needs major improvement.

No about or contact page either. Erm..

SteH

While not strictly relevant I unsubscribed from the mailing list for this site yesterday because in the space of a week I must have gotten around 10 emails advertising products and the site. Less is sometimes more.

The comments so far haven't been strictly positive so in order to buck the trend I'd like to say that in terms of content you're on the right track. The look and feel of the site is about 50% where it should be. Far too much content on the front page. The importance of each link is reduced by the shear quantity that there is. Looking at the front page I instantly see the following:
Front Page
Mobile
Personal Tech
Home Tech
Imaging
Computing
Gaming
Digital Life
Video
Audio
Text Version
breaking news- with various sub links to stories
Video / Audio / More panel
Top 10 gadgets panel
and there are many, many other links underneath.

My personal preference, as a person interested in the content nevermind web design, would be to reduce the front page link count and therefore increase the impact, importance and relevance of what you have there. Make it more intuitive for users to find what they are looking for.
I hope that even helps a slight bit.

Geoff

For anyone addicted to tables, this is the site for you :)

Apart from that, there are some fun gadgets on there, but is this not already a crowded space? gizmodo, lifehacker, etc etc?

Is there really a compelling reason that some gadgets will appeal more to Irish people than others?

Expand.ie

I think you've just got far too much info on one page. It just comes across as cluttered. Im sure 1024 res would be shocking. 7 or 8 javascript files is a tad excessive also.

Status
Not open for further replies.