Status
Not open for further replies.

dereko

Have new vacancy at our company, where do people post there jobs and where do they find the most successful in getting good applicants. I don't want to spend a fortune although I will spend a bit.

Currently have it up on this site:
Jeebers - Web Application Developer (PHP)

Have had a decent response in the past along with a few other places althouh not much hits at the moment. It is coming up to xmas so that might be a factor.

dereko

thanks didn't even know there was a jobs board here but i was really asking about what jobs sites, e.g. irishjobs, monster etc.. have people used with good or bad experiences.

happy to know any other free places i could put it up if anyone has any suggestions.

TheMenace

Trying to find a strong PHP developer in the current climate for 36k - 40k is going to be tough. That's not to say it's a particularly bad salary (albeit entry level for Dublin in this day and age) but the supply of decent developers simply isn't there - it's an employees market now. I know PHP developers earning 80k+ per year at the minute. Granted they're experienced but to get someone good, that's what you're up against. :eek:

dereko

that sir is a scary thought...

It does seem like the PHP/Linux heads are few and far between these days. In the last 2 years things seem to have changed quite a bit. None of the current courses have graduates with any of these skills. I did CA in DCU and the current crop don't seem to have any real knowledge of unix. Not good for all these web development companies still using the LAMP framework.
I remember putting up a similar job posting for 28-30k 2 years ago and getting floods of CVs.

TheMenace

Scary indeed. A couple of years ago supply was plentiful and people were desperate for work and willing to settle for circa 30k positions. However, I've lost count of the number of friends and ex-colleagues who have changed career paths in the last 3 or 4 years as a result of this. Now that the market is a bit more buoyant, demand has outstripped supply and designers and developers can command much higher salaries.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Technical Skills Needed:

• Outstanding programming skills and knowledge of PHP.
  • Good working knowledge of web server administration on Unix/Linux machines.
  • Excellent knowledge of Internet/Web technologies, such as web browsers, http, html, css, JavaScript, xml and w3c standards.
  • Experience in designing clean and functional CSS and table-less based XHTML
  • Strong database organizational skills including normalization (MySQL)
  • Familiar with Source code control protocols (SVN/CVS)
  • Experience with image editing software (Fireworks, Photoshop)

You've basically described me ( at least I like to think of myself in that way :D ) Add in flash / actionscript and a few other bits and bobs

For 36 - 40K ... I might as well work for myself take on the projects I want to as I want to... sure I've got the overheads as well to deal with but it means I'm my own boss ...

dereko

@TheMenace shhhh, someone might hear you ;)

Cheers, I might have to re-think my offer. Still that makes me think maybe outsourcing to another country is a better alternative.
I would normally avoid this but when you look at the numbers now its a big gap in cost.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
shhhh, someone might hear you ;)

I'm going to fire my ass :D

But seriously I'd restructure your requirements ... putting some things into the nice to haves ? You may find your list is putting a few people off.

I know a lot of good programmers who have never touched photoshop in their lives and never want to.

dereko

Thanks, I've made a few minor changes to hopefully get a few more CVs in the door.

We'll see how it goes for a few weeks and decide from there if it has a poor response.

TheMenace

Cheers, I might have to re-think my offer.

What I would suggest you do is determine what the position and person, properly managed, is worth to your company in monetary terms and base the salary on that. Let's say, hypothetically, that this employee was handling, say, 130k of work each year. Would it not be worth setting the salary at 65k to get the right person in? If the amount of work they're doing is only worth 50k per year to you, would it not be more prudent to outsource the work to a freelancer?

Still that makes me think maybe outsourcing to another country is a better alternative.

The quality of work I've seen coming in from overseas is dreadful. You can get lucky sometimes but, in my experience, you're taking a big risk with little comeback.

Status
Not open for further replies.