Status
Not open for further replies.

georgiecasey

What jobs do people on the board have, what do they do for their day? Freelance web designer, web designer for a company, hosting etc.

I'll kick it off... student in Galway, part time owner of some adsense sites.
I'm asking because I'm wondering if anybody here have one of those jobs that are always advertised for, PHP/MySQL developers for companies, it looks like decent pay.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I run one of the largest hosting companies in Ireland :)

louie

I do few things - car parts and accessories, some web design (i love this job), a small bits and bobs every now and then.

Have a big project lined up and if it works I retire to Fiji.

RedCardinal

Hang around web forums trying to look like I know something :D

Well actually for the last few years I have been consulting for companies primarily in the construction industry (strategy, analysis and work-flow and process re-engineering) which has also led to quite a lot of web work which I really love. Originally trained as an economist.

Trying to push out the boat with the SEO work at the moment as I get a lot of satisfaction from it. Oh, and I have been known to write business plans on occassion.

Cormac

just graduated from college with a Dip in Multimedia and Degree in IT, working in the IT department at the moment in the ESB in Dublin. Not looking to go into development, programming or any form of web design stuff.....it wrecks my head! But i do have personal sites and i'm running a two commercial sites for my own benefit at the moment.

fieldcorbett

I work for a financial software house, in Dublin, as a Solution Architect. Have about 8 years dev experience mostly on web based development, usually in Java.

Also have my own company (GC Consulting) with a friend from college. We do web design etc with the idea of using the money from that to finance other ideas. Currently finishing coding one of these ideas and now have the harder task of actually getting users.

Spending some time recently thinking about small side businesses and how people are running them. Thinking of those of you who have full time jobs/studying but running another biz on the side. Trying to think of ways we can help each other out.

des

fieldcorbett

I guess it depends on the company but mostly the role is to go to customers and try and elict the technicial requirements (stuff like how will my product talk to your backend systems etc..) then come back and design a solution. Its a bit like the technicial version of a Business Analyst.

des

Sparky-s

Electrical and mechnical engineer.:) 1 yr to go till I'm fully qualified.:)
I'm thinking of starting a forum at some stage for people with questions about electrical in Ireland. I must do a search first to see if there is any others.
I love dealing with electronics and the internet aswell.

rsynnott

I'm a bishop.

No, really, I'm a student at Trinity. I currently have a programming job with a computer games middleware company. Oh, and Google gives me free money (I did http://findmeatune.com as a hobby a couple of years back, then put Google ads on it).
Rob

gary.b

I spend my free time messing about with PHP. MySQL, and CSS
Trying to earn enough with adsense to feed my habits.. err that's hosting.

Full time student in DKIT: Networking & Support.

Working on a few websites here and there. And some Half-Life 1 and 2 level design.

Busarus

Daytime job - running Canadian recruitment websites
Other jobs - Publishing Archiseek.com and various other properties

Status
Not open for further replies.