Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
CMS Made Simple 1.3 was released ... about to install locally for a customer site ...

Lots of additions so I'm quite excited if it fixes a few issues I have :)

gav240z

CMS Made Simple 1.3 was released ... about to install locally for a customer site ...

Lots of additions so I'm quite excited if it fixes a few issues I have :)

Hi mate,
Do you care to share some of the reasons you use CMS Made Simple? Just wondering what you like about it and perhaps even what you don't like / would change?

Forbairt

Something along these lines :D

1. Ease of Use
  2. URL Structure
  3. Ease of Templating
  4. Ease of adding in extras
  5. Ease of Hacking
  6. Ease of installing
  7. Modules available (ok this could also work against it)
  8. Easy of upgrading

How's your Drupal going ... maybe a quick half an hour showcase of the systems are in order at some stage :)

Spiralli

I'm starting to get excited about this CMS too. In my opinion, manyof the others tend to be overkill from a designer/developers point of view and from the customer's point of view also. Don't get me wrong - they are excellent packages for large sites, they just do more than I need, and the complexity makes them difficult for me to adapt. In particular templating and integration of my own scripts seems easy.

I've yet to deploy it for a client, but am looking forward to the opportunity.

Forbairt

if you need a hand of have any questions just give me a shout

Using it for a few sites ... and will be coverting a few older sites to it VERY quickly as its templating it amazing in my mind :)

A few multilingual ones ... with some form of shopping cart ..

gav240z

if you need a hand of have any questions just give me a shout

Using it for a few sites ... and will be coverting a few older sites to it VERY quickly as its templating it amazing in my mind :)

A few multilingual ones ... with some form of shopping cart ..

Would be cool to see a screencast of templating in it to see how easy it is.

I think the best templating system I've seen yet is Expression Engine's, but it would be good to see others.

nevf

woohoo, thanks forb, I like the simpicity of CMSMadeSimple(hence the name) but I hated the amount of bugs, and now after further research, it appears the problems have been fixed.

Just a note, that in a much earlier version when I installed it as a demo, my brother developed software on the computer that brute forced the login, and eventually cracked the account until it was suspended by the host. It was a shared hosting account so my account got suspended for using too much resources(CPU processes to be precise), and although I could have patched the problem easy myself, I was just too paranoid to keep using it.

I'll install a demo on Monday on my (Bluehost.com) account, and i'll ask my brother(software developer) to design another similar program and I should have an answer for you by Friday. A note to everyone in the mean time is just to be very careful, and make all the admin accounts with strong passwords.

If anyone wants any further info, they can just ask me here or either by PM, but I am very sure that the problem has been fixed because the bug was reported by someone else before I got there, but it's no harm just to be sure to be sure.

Forbairt

1: Use SSL for logins
2: Change your default admin directory to something more obscure

Not the greatest ... but will add a further level of protection

nevf

1: Use SSL for logins
2: Change your default admin directory to something more obscure

Not the greatest ... but will add a further level of protection
woohoo, just installed cmsmadesimple....
lovely.... it's a beauty to use, and looks fairly secure as well...
bitch to template so far, getting all sorts of errors but sher you'll have that

Forbairt

bitch to template so far, getting all sorts of errors but sher you'll have that

??? Its the easiest system I've ever used to template :D
Whats the problem ?

oh 1.3.1 was released ... (upgrading is pretty simple)

nevf

??? Its the easiest system I've ever used to template :D
Whats the problem ?

oh 1.3.1 was released ... (upgrading is pretty simple)
I'm gettign one specific error everytime i activate the template, I'll have a go again in a while, when i get home, and i'll try and reinstall the templates. i haven't got time at the moment for hacking it, so the whole cms is on the backboiler for me for the next week or two...

nevf

"DTD Version mismatch, cannot import"

when trying to import theme. by manually creating a template (ie. copying and pasting code)

give me a shout on here or on im if you can't figure it out

Thanks Forbairt. I appreciate that.

Forbairt

sounds like the theme you want to use has some versioning info included in it that states its only for version x.y.z of CMSMadeSimple.

Which theme is it ? and cmsmadesimple 1.3.1 ?

johned

I looked at cms made simple and a few others but they where ether to complicated for the end user or to big so i wrote my own cms with php and an open source javascript wysiwyg text/html editor. Now i just use include files where ever my customers want to be able to update content. Its simple enuf and just uses flat text files and pages as an array.

Still working on a gallery tho but if any one is interested in the cms the code bellow is the main part to build on.

Each page is added to the array and has a text file containing the content. Now if you build an admin page and password protect it you can use a wysiwyg javascript editor to write to the text files and wack a simple customised cms made in no time..

PHP:
<?php
$validPages = array(
'home',
'about',
'gallery',
'members',
'contact'
);

if (isset($_GET['p']) && in_array($_GET['p'], $validPages) && file_exists("includes/" . $_GET['p'] . ".txt")) {
include("includes/" . $_GET['p'] . ".txt");
} else {
include("includes/home.txt");
}

Forbairt

personally I wouldn't go that route of home grown again ... unless I'd a good bit of time to devote to it and it was going to be a product I was offering customers.

It doesn't give you nice urls
It doesn't give you keywords / meta / titles
It doesn't give you easy linking to other pages.

and lots of other things.

johned

Keywords meta and titles I deal with in the code but if you wanted to include them in the cms that is simple with include files editable in the backend.

I have added very simple linking in the backend where the client can select the page they want to link to from a drop down list.

I also know how the whole system works unlike using a ready made package.

Status
Not open for further replies.